other then hearing the heart beet and ultrasound is there another way to find out if I am going to have twins

I have 3 kids and I am less then three months pregnant is there any other way to find out if i am carrying twins my belly is huge and I do have a set of twins in my family and there is a set of twins on my husbands side of the family

monkeykids2

Asked by monkeykids2 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• hear for heat beat and ultra sound is pretty much the only way.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think twins would "come" from the Maternal side...
    But you can watch your fundal height.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nope no other way but wait tell the next ultrasound.

Answer by louise2 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My sister had fraternal twins and the ultrasound they heard two heartbeats. We have twins on our side.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• so i need to wait a few more months before i get to get an ultrasound but I think on the 20th I get to hear the heart beat
    monkeykids2

Comment by monkeykids2 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The more kids you have the bigger you can look. When having twins you look bigger more towards the end. If you can answer YES to these questions you have a much greater chance of having twins then someone else.
    Are you over the age 30?
    On your mothers side are there twins?
    Are your sypmtoms dramatically intesified then with your other pregnancies(Example excessive gas, indigestion, bloating, fatigue, sickness, headaches compared to previous pregnancies)
    Before I knew I was carrying twins I was able to say yes to all of these Q's. I have faternal twins and once I found out was a fanatic and researched it like crazy!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• @ AmyLynn
    answers to your questions
    I am 31
    I don't know my mom
    this pregnancy is different then the others. for one i am tired alot.
    I have pain in my stomach and the doctor says that is normal.
    I have alot of morning sickness,
    I have a lot of headachs.
    so I answered yes to all but 1 and the one i did not answer yes to is one that i can't due to me not knowing my mom
    monkeykids2

Comment by monkeykids2 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You can measure your fundal height and a skilled doctor or midwife can palpate and feel more than one baby usually if you are carrying twins by 24 weeks, though you can still miss a second baby that way.

I had an early ultrasound with my last pregnancy... early enough that we could have missed a second baby. I got HUGE, my fundal height was large for how far along I was and I had a big growth spurt at the very end of my pregnancy, which is sometimes an indicator of twins. We could only feel one baby, but sometimes they hide...I didn't have another ultrasound and just decided to be surprised if we had twins. We thought we might be having more than one right up until he was born. It was kind of fun not knowing for sure lol. When the placenta came instead of another baby we knew :p

Belly size is not a reliable indicator. Fundal height is more accurate. And listening for more than one heartbeat too :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I am pregnant with my fifth. I have alot of pain in my stomach and my doctor told me it is from my uterus muscle not being as strong as before. You do tend to look bigger with each pregnancy. I have alot of morning sickness still and I am in my second trimester. I am exhausted 24-7. Keep in mind you have 3 other kids to chase after now, you will not be as well rested as you were before. How old is your youngest? We had a 3d done early on just to be positive we were not having twins because I was adopted and have no medical history. We did it with my last pregnancy too because I swore I was having twins because of how much movement I felt. Turned out my placents was behind the baby, so I felt ever movement.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• @ eliffyefli my youngest is 5 and I gave my oldest up for adoption so i have 2 that live at home they are 5 and 8.
    monkeykids2

Comment by monkeykids2 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2010