What do you use for night time potty training?

My son is 3, and has no accidents during the day but he wets through a pull up every night. We cut out water after dinner and have him use the bathroom before bed, yet every morning he is wet and so is the bed. It is upsetting him and I don't know what to do to help him. We are using night time pullups...is there anything else that doesn't leak?? I know that sometimes this is the last thing to overcome, I just don't want him to feel sad about it. Thanks for the help!

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Staying dry at night is not about training. It's about developmentally ready. Some kids will get it shortly after day training is achieved. Others take more time. Most doctor's won't even consider it a potential issue until the child is school age. The nervous system has to mature - right now, he's sleeping deeply and his body isn't receptive to the urges to go while he's asleep. Nor is it able to override the urge until he give sit the 'all clear' to to speak.

As others have said, try a larger, overnight pull-up designed for kids his age. If he's still having an issue, go up a size. I know my two always needed a size larger diaper or pull-up at night then during the day. Also, reassure him that this isn't his fault. Let him know he's not alone, no one is mad, and he'll get there when his body is ready to get there.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe you could try leaving the potty in his room at night so that he is not scared to get up and go all the way to his potty it would be right there.
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Going through the same thing. He can't get anything after five and I make him go before he go to bed and in te morning he is soaked. Still haven't found anything to help, I guess it just going to take time
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 10:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You might take him to the bathroom during the night. If he goes to bed at 8, wake him up at 11 and take him to the bathroom. It sounds like a bother but it worked with one of my sons.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would wake my son up twice at night and I made sure no liquids after 7. It does take boys longer to potty train. We also put a plastic mattress protector on his bed in case his pullup would leak.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Try a bigger pull-up. Like with diapers if they are too small they tend to leak. If he continues to soak through one you could go back to diapers at night or talk to a doctor because I don't think a 3yo should pee that much any time. Other than that you wait it out. He can't control it. My older son is 9 and still wears pull-ups at night (the kind made for big kids). He only wets occasionally but uses them just in case. My 8yo daughter soaks them every night. She only has leaking problems because my husband continues to buy the pull-ups in bulk and they only go to size 4t-5t and she's 55lbs so too big for them. They don't leak when she wears the ones made for her age/size.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I just put mine in a diaper at night until they start waking up to go.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 10:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2010