If you agree with the Supreme Court’s Definition of the “separation of church and state”, then do you think banks, and government offices should be open during the Christmas "Holiday"?

Ok, a little philosophy, mixed with politics, and some opinion… I was in a philosophical debate and I wanted to share to get more enlightened and informed responses...

Currently Christmas is a Government Paid Holiday. It has been debated this is a violation of the Separation of Church and State. What are your thoughts?

In a lawsuit against the Govt (Ganulin v. United States) in reference to being allowed to use Christmas as a paid Holiday, the Supreme court stated, …”By giving federal employees a paid vacation day on Christmas, the government is doing no more than recognizing the cultural significance”…

My other question couldn‘t one argue, “One Nation Under God” is of Cultural Significance?

Would you be willing to NOT have a paid vacation day on Christmas if this were overturned and Christmas Holiday deemed unconstitutional?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It'll all come to an end one day soon anyways. The government already tries to dictate where and when you can talk about religion. It's only a matter of time!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Those Holidays don't seem to hold the same meaning as they used to. Christmas has become a retail holiday and that's all.
    Anonymous

• " Those Holidays don't seem to hold the same meaning as they used to. Christmas has become a retail holiday and that's all. "

~So, then do you think that Christmas is no longer of "Culture significance"
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• And thus everyone should have to work without legal day off and Christmas not be recognized?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I am a Christian who proudly says Merry Christmas. If I know of your holiday, then I will recognize as such. But as I found out recently, some athiests do not celebrate a holiday, and"Happy Holiday's" offends them.

So where is the line drawn or does it only cause more reason for lawsuits? It is obvious we are going to piss off someone, so should we base our decisions on "Cultural Significance"?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Separation of church and state does not mean we can't recognize religious celebrations. It was set up so the government could not impose religion on us - like the Church of England. The separation was to guarantee that American's would be free to worship in whatever religion they choose and they should not be discriminated against for that choice. The founding fathers did not give us that right so that the Christian religion would face such attacks, but to prevent other religions from attack. Only Scrooge would take away Christmas as a paid holiday!
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 3:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes, and no... I think it's good that we have federally-recognized holidays. I'm not a veteran, but I get memorial day off... in europe they have a way better idea IMO for holiday. i think the decision to make christmas a national holiday is to simply avoid being unable to do business and solve employee squabbles when many want to take off to spend holidays with families.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• mnrock: I agree with you
    But(as part of this debate), an athiest colleague of mine stated that by her not having the banks and governement buildings opened on Christmas Day, then the Gov't was imposing religion on her"...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I do think that government buildings should be open on Christmas. Or if everyone gets the day off, no one should be paid for it.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 3:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't agree with anything the government does anymore. Once they took God out of everything, they have denounced Him. Why should they celebrate his Birth or Resurrection for that matter. I think the Christians needs to separate itself from the government, like the the government has the christians. They have let the Muslims, the Jews, and all others have their Holidays, I think Christians, and Christians alone should have their christmas and Easter. The government needs to work those days because they are the reason God is not in our Govenement.

bjburgess

Answer by bjburgess at 3:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008