my 5 month old scratches his face up bad

I DO cut and file my baby's nails on a regular basis and I DON'T leave him crying for long periods of time so that he gets frustrated. But he manages to scratch his face up pretty bad sometimes and I don't really know what to do I'm afraid he's going to cut his eye. Plus it looks terrible I don't want people to see my baby and think I don't take care of him or something. Anyone else have this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• continue to keep the nails short. Some even bite them off. Others use mittens to prevent them from scratching themselves.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I put gloves on my dd hands til she was 7 months
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• put the baby mittens on him :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I also agree with the other, use those baby mittens. :)
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't like the idea of baby mittens on anyone but a newborn. At 5 months old, he needs his hands. He needs to be able to use them to help his motor skills develop. My first child was bad about scratching, it seemed it was only a problem when she was tired. We introduced a lovey. Anytime I saw her start clawing at herself, I'd go place the lovey (a small stuffed money) in her hands. She'd claw and pull at him, instead of herself.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• have him wear the lil hand coves the mitins things....
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Unfortunately, the mittens never worked for me, they came off too easy. But I've discovered that if you put a good bit of lotion all over the skin it makes it a lot harder for them to scratch, the nails just slip off the surface of the skin. I recommend using one with either vitamin E or Aloe in it to help heal the scratches that he already has and of coarse try to keep the nails short.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yep id say lotion....he could be scratching because his skin itches because its dry. Even if thats not the reason for scratching like the above poster said if you put lotion on he will scratch more of the lotion off rather than his skin....Good luck!
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• At 5 months he would just pull the mitts off. That's kind of a silly idea. Those are for newborns, not infants that need to use their hands to play with their toys.
    My youngest is 5 months and only gets scratches when his nails aren't short enough (that's usually my sign to trim them). Or he scratches me. He scratched me in the eye twice last week until I finally cut his nails. My older son was also one of those babies that would scratch at his face when he was tired. He was born covered in scratches and the nurses FORCED me to keep his hands covered in the hospital which we had to continue for weeks. He was a mess but eventually he grew out of it. I like the idea of a little blanket or something to give him to clutch when he's tired or scratching.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• mittens and sometimes toys help
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010