Aging and death

Do you think we sometimes forget that our parents are aging just as we are? I sometimes forget that my parents are aging too. I am in my early 40's and still see my parents as they were 20 yrs ago and forget that they are not going to be around forever. I forget to call them and talk to them and visit them and it is because I am so busy with my children, home, and life. I am going to try and make a bigger effort this year to see them as often as I can.

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 10:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Don't make an effort...just do it. I lost my dad just over a year ago after a 16 year estrangement (long story-his choice). And I just lost my mother. Her and I were very close!! We talked almost every day. I had no idea she was even sick. No one around her knew she was sick. I am still devastated!! She passed 11/22/10. Don't wait for the new year. Start NOW.
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 2:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• badI keep telling my adult children that but they don't listen. They just keep on with their life and just forget about Ole Mom

Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• thtas good..i never once thought about losing a parent becouse i was so young,,but at 16 i lost my mom to cancer,,she was only 39 4 days befor her 40th birthday...i wish that i would have know she was so sick..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• ¸.•*"i hate watching my loved ones grow older..i never realized that my grandparents were aging until we went to visit and i realized they were getting older and had to come to terms that they were going to be leaving me eventually...i always pictured them as staying the way they were when i was younger..i love them so much and hope they still have many more years but i know my grandmother isn't doing soo well she now has parkinsi's and i will miss them so very much..i plan on calling more often and talking to them more often and we are planning another trip to see them soon...
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I def have noticed my parents looking a bit older, and starting to see a few wrinkles and gray hair... I'm 21...and was actually thinking the other day about how fast this past year went by, its going to be so strange to see my parents get "old". It's even harder watching my grandparents age...but no one sticks around forever, and none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
    It's so easy to forget out mortality. We should make every day count and give much thought to where we will be spending out eternity.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think that's good. I have lost both of my parents and would give anything to talk to them once more.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Girl, I know what you are talking about. We get so busy that we forget about our parents. I really try to talk to my mom and grandma as much as possible because you never know how much longer they will be me. Good think you know this now, so you can dedicate some time to them before it is too late. Have fun connecting again with them.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with you OP
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• As someone who lost her mother this March, I commend you for planning on calling more and suggest you all do.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is hard, but just keep doing the best you can. Tell them how you feel, they will appreciate it. And they've been there, done that, so they will understand. I answering from the older view here. I live 4 hours away from my grown children. Their lives are busy, I know how hard it was when I was their age.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010