My cursing has been out of control..... Tips for controlling it.

I am not ashamed of admitting it but need help trying to stop it. I never cursed, ever but lately it comes naturally. I honestly think cursing is trashy!!!!

Lately, I have been trashy, help me stop cursing.... YUck I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL-just my opinion so don't hate me for it,....

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every thing you say, stop and think first. It means you can't just blurt out whatever pops into your head. When you are on the phone, or in person, before you open your mouth, think about it. It will become a habit, and it will not only stop you from cursing, it also will help you be more diplomatic (not that you aren't already, of course.) Also try to avoid people who curse a lot, the more you are around people who curse, the more you will feel natural doing it.

Answer by Bmat at 11:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• make a game out of trying to make the silliest thing instead of swearing

instead of Oh Fuck... say oh fiddles on the roof
    holy shit.. becomes...holy cows dancing on the moon

whatever.. make it long, it may calm you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with you, and I'm not a "curser". What about just doing an old fashioned "Curse Jar". Every time you swear you have to put money in it, and YOU don't get to decide how it's spent, maybe your husband and kids do. Maybe it will make you stop and think??
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Make a curse jar. If you are tight on money let your family fix a chore jar. Something you don't normally do. That's what I did for my kids, when they get in trouble. It seems to be working pretty well. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had my son help me stop when he was about 3. I didn't want him saying the words so I was teaching them that they were wrong and let him call me down when I said them. Amazing how quickly I stopped. However, once they grew up I started again!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I substitute curse words for other words. I try not to use the same word time and again so my kids won't pick up on those so easily either. It works for me though!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree try substituting words and if you are around any adults that you don't mind saying something to you let them know what your trying to do. My DH quickly helped me get things under control :D GL
    fairygurl91787

Answer by fairygurl91787 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2010