My 8 month old has started waking up again in the night wanting a feed?

My son has started waking in the night again for a feed should he be doing this? I read somewhere that he shouldnt need a feed during the night but how do i settle him back down the only way he seems to settle is when i feed him?

Help would be much appreciated!

sammie1989

Asked by sammie1989 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's not likely that he needs a bottle in the middle of the night. It is, however, very likely that he'll continue the night waking if it gets him a bottle.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He may be going through a growth spurt. His body needs extra nurishment at these times. There is nothing wrong with him wanting an extra feeding in the middle of the night. When you want a midnight snack, I bet you get one. He will go through many growth spurts throughout his life. My boys would wake up in the night at all ages.  A quick bowl of Cheerios and they were right back to bed sawing logs. So, what your son is going through is perfectly normal.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If he's not needing a feed in the night any suggestions on what i can try to settle him back down other than the feed? Thanks
    sammie1989

Comment by sammie1989 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You said in your ? that he is waking up at night for a feeding. What makes you think his body doesn't need it? And, why are you so against it? He is just little and will continue to grow on a regular basis. The body needs nurishment to grow. A tiny tummy needs nurishment when it needs it. Not always when you think he needs it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He needs it. Go ahead and feed him. The only thing you can count on with infant sleep is that the pattern WILL change. You're just along for the ride here.

All YOU can do to encourage sleep is set a bedtime routine and keep things nice and quiet and dark at night. The rest is entirely up to him.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with the other moms, feed him. This could be a phase or growth spurt. Wouldn't you rather quickly deal with the problem and get him back to sleep than trying to console a crying baby for hours?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Im not against it, I was wondering if he should be waking again after going so long sleeping through and if i should be feeding him in the night again when he hasn't been having a night feed
    sammie1989

Comment by sammie1989 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• growth spurts!! i would feed him!! my dd slept all night from 2months to 5 months then started teething and was up every hour!! now at 10months she is finally sleeping 4-5 hours between feedings at night!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sammie1989, if your baby has been sleeping through the night for awhile, consider yourself lucky!! (: My daughter didn't sleep through the night until 10 months, she is now almost a year (tomorrow!) and she still occasionally has "one of those nights". If you really feel like your baby doesn't need a bottle, I would try to swing/rock/bop him, and I bet you know an array of christmas carols you could sing to him. Maybe he just wants you to comfort him more than anything. Good luck.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Totally normal. Feed him. He's growing!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010