Do You Let Your Kids Smoke

If you find out your kids have been smoking, do you let them smoke at home and at what age? My 15 yr old smokes and I'm not sure if I should let her or not, even though I smoke.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have to say no, even though you can't keep them from it. When I caught my son smoking I reminded him that he will be wanting a car soon and showed him the math on how much he could be saving for it if he doesn't smoke. I'm pretty sure it worked because h has been giving me every penny he is able to save since then.
    MandyBNT

Answer by MandyBNT at 9:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Umm, no. I don't smoke and neither should my kids. Even if I was a smoker, my children would not be allowed to smoke in or around my home. You're basically telling them "that's ok". How horribly unhealthy for your daughter :(
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• NO. Never in my home or my presence. I don't care how old they are. My mother died of lung cancer and my father of throat cancer. Both were heavy smokers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I think it's a tough one when the parents smoke. My daughter smokes and I don't like it but I understand how addicting it is. I always felt that once they got hooked they would do it anyways and I didn't want my daughter to sneak around to do it. It's a tough situation to deal with, good luck.
    Anonymous

• I have never smoked and they have no interest in smoking. My ex's mom died of lung cancer and she suffered terribly before she died. She smoked like a chimney
    saintjill64

Answer by saintjill64 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Well...two choices really. Take away the sneaking around and allow her to smoke in her own home as you do or have her outside smoking. Truth is if she's a smoker at 15 she is not likely going to quit if you allow or do not allow. I hate secrets and I try to let my son know he should always be safe and worry free in his home. I would accept what you cannot change.
    Good luck we are all doing the best to move them to the next stage.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• no i wouldn't let my teens smoke one because if at that age they want to smoke in your house God only knows what else they will want to experiment at home...
    smiley_36

Answer by smiley_36 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Because you smoke you know the risks and you need to put your foot down and stop your daughter from making the same mistakes.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I don't know the law in all the states but in PA you need to be at least 18 to purchase them. How is she getting them? 15 years old to me is too young. I did the same thing when i was 16 and my parents both smoked. It is extremely addictive. My parents made me smoke a full pack at one time. (one after the other) it made me soooo sick. Never touched another cigarette again and I'm 29 now. My children now already know that it is a bad habit, it rots your body and teeth and are completely against it. You need to put your foot down and stop her
    adhd8yoand3yo

Answer by adhd8yoand3yo at 2:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I would have to say no! I have five sisters and a brother that all started smoking at a young age. My parents are also smokers and they decided that it would be best that instead of making everyone hide their smoking that they would counsel against it but not deny it because they know of the addictive qualities to it.

I believe that it was a horrible choice by my parents because all of my siblings are young and each are practically smoking between two and five packs a day. I am the only non-smoker in my family.

Most of the time they are going to do it no matter what you do so if you allow it then that allows them to smoke even more. At least if you say you don't allow it then they won't be able to smoke as much and maybe their habit won't get too out of hand.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008