If you're that bad off financially.......

Watching a Huggies commercial today brought me to look at their Every Little Bottom program.  Something it talks about is how some people, in an effort to save some money, will attempt to "clean" out disposable diapers to reuse them.  So, I have to ask, if you're that bad off financially that you can't afford to buy your baby new disposable diapers and would reuse soiled ones, wouldn't it make sense to switch to cloth?  When I switched to cloth I had been spending about $30 dollars a month on disposables at Sam's Club.  My start-up costs for cloth (went the old-fashioned route with Gerber prefolds, plastic pants, and pins) were about $35 and my recurring costs were for the plastic pants when they developed holes or he outgrew them.

ncbirdie

Asked by ncbirdie at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think so, but some people don't want to be bothered.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Cloth makes sense to me too. Reusing disposable diapers is just wrong on so many levels IMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Wow, reusuable disposables is just not right.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• And what about spending more than $200 up front for cloth? I bet the people who reuse disposables don't have that kind of extra cash laying around.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:53 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Many daycares won't use cloth, so you have to have disposables
    Anonymous

• You *don't* have to spend 200 up front for cloth. As OP said, you can just get prefolds and cheap covers... cottonbabies makes a line called "econobabies" that's designed to make cloth diapering cheap. Shoot, just go to thrift stores and pick up fleece pants and receiving blankets. Really can't get any cheaper than that! lol...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If you cant afford diapers you cant afford the baby to begin with.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It would make sense to use clothes.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Some people think the start up costs are much higher, some people dont want the hassle, and some day cares wont take cloth.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It seems to me that washing the cloth diapers would cost more than $30 extra a month? Constantly running the washer and dryer would make our electric/water bill sky-rocket! You would have to wash frequently, otherwise the smell would be horrendous. I already wash clothes almost every other day bc my ds and dd clothes get soiled frequently. IMO disposable diapers are much easier.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2010