Impulsive behavior in a 3yr old boy.

Since my son started school this year, he has been getting a bit more impulsive/aggressive in his behavior. He will hit when he doesn't get his way or doesn't like something, etc. Also gets real loud. There have been a few incidents at school also which freak me out. He's a smart little guy. We've used time outs-only seems to work for Daddy-with me he follows me around saying he needs a hug while being hysterical. We've taken toys away and have banned tv privileges. As for his tv watching, its only Curious George and other PBS stuff-nothing aggressive. I almost dread going to pick him up from school now in case I get a report of his bad behavior.
He has hit me in public and home. We praise the good behavior but can't figure out what else to do about the bad behavior. I am having a hard time keeping my cool with this behavior. I'm in no way saying that school is the cause of this, but it seems to have begun around this time. Its his first time in school. Help!

jams63

Asked by jams63 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he sees another child acting this way. Maybe somethings bothering him that he doesn't know how to cope with.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• They learn by seeing, he must be seeing it somewhere..

don't tolerate it, my daughter and son act that way they are now 7 and 8. I am having such a difficult time teaching them that it is not the way~~~~ I won't give up and neither should you eventually they will realize they can't get away with it...
    Good luck,
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was going to say too that he is either seeing this type of behavoir and mimicking..or something is really bothering him.Try to figure it out and also let him know that there are better ways for him to express himself.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't think its someone in school. Several months back, he was watching "The Incredibles", which in hindsight, is not good for a 3yr old. He tends to mimic Incrediboy with "shooty thing". I tired to have him tickle when he feels he has to hit-which of course I wish he didn't feel the need to hit.
    I wish he could express why he feels the need the hit. He said, regarding the incident in school, that he wanted something. He was told to use his words. He knows how to share when we're at the playground, etc. He walked up to his father one night and just punched him in the crotch for no reason. That went over well.
    jams63

Comment by jams63 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• read Dr. James Dobson's book Raising Boys. It may work better if he is homeschooled, not all of his schooling necessarily, but at least elementary, and then if hes ready for public school, try it for high school.
    babysam0506

Answer by babysam0506 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree. I have 3 boys and this book called "thats my son" is an awesome books for parents with boys. it teachesyou everything you need to know. from behaviors to adolesent years. the author is rick johnson..hope this helps..

www.mypartycelebration.com
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011