We want to move to Florida, but we are scared of hurricanes. If you live in Florida, can you tell me how you deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Travel

• I live within a mile of the ocean. It hits inland just as bad as it does the coastal and sometimes worse. Make sure your home is built with block, not a prefab home, get (if they don't already have them) shutters for your home. Stock up on candles, batteries, flashlights and have a gas grill in case the power goes off and your meat thaws, you can cook it and by the time your power gets back on hopefully you can re-freeze. Keep lots of water in your home, when one  is coming fill you bathtub, and use that for flushing the toilet down. Get non parishable foods, beans, soups, pasta, can goods of any kind. The weather is crazy anymore and it really doesn't matter where you live you will have to deal with some type of storm. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 12:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No matter where you live will have bad weather or other things. Hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, floods, droughts, whatever. You can't get away from it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I just moved to Florida in January, I live in Central Florida. My husband's lived here his entire life and he says he's never panicked over a hurricane. You just take precautions like boarding up things so windows don't break, etc. and stock up on food, batteries, candles, matches, drinks and maybe purchase a generator in case the lights are out for a while. We just cleared a big tree out of our yard for the reason of us being scared it might topple over on our house during a hurricane. There isn't any sense in freaking out about it because if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I had more issues with bad weather when I lived in SC than I have so far in FL. In SC we would get really bad ice storms that would freeze over everything and cause lines to break and we were without lights for two weeks once from it. You just prepare yourself and make sure you're stocked up.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, but how do you deal with the hurricanes? What do you have to do?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You stock up food, water, batteries, personal items, etc. Or the smartest thing to do is evacuate.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• crafting is right. Just don't live near the ocean & make sure you have a well built house. It's all the crappy fast-built houses that get torn down from these hurricanes.

Where in FL are you planning to move?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Were do you evacuate to?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• But living near the ocean has nothing to do with it. My grandmother lives more than an hour inland from the Gulf and she had roof damage in 2005 from the three hurricanes that passed over the state. Florida is such a skinny state that you can't "get away" from the effects of a hurricane.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Port Charlotte, with family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My sisters were in a condo and wound up in a FEMA trailer in 2004. It was totally flattened!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010