So Im having a colposcopy done tomorrow.

Anybody ever had one? Im a little nervous. Depending on the results I may have to have a biopsy.

bellsandheels

Asked by bellsandheels at 12:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• I had it done when I was pregnant with my younger DD. I had an irregular PAP. So, the dr. just snipped a little tissue from my cervix to test. Then, he did another one after delivery. Turned out my cells were just irregular during pregnancy and nothing was wrong. All they will do is snip a little tissue, culture it and see what the cause of the irregular cells might be.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• And I just want to say, because when I see this question asked I see at least one person confusing the too.....

A colposcopy is NOT a colonoscopy. A colposcopy is done if a pap comes back abnormal, a device opens the vaginal wall and the doctor uses a microscope to check for legions and abnormal cells, a culture or even a biopsy will be done if any are present.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes I had a colposcopy done when I was pregnant with my daughter...it was done at about 24 weeks. If not pregnant they will do a biopsy right then and there if any legions are found (they won't biopsy during pregnancy).

It was no more uncomfortable than a pap smear and I felt a little bit of discomfort for only about 10 minutes then I was 100% back to normal and felt fine.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had one done and they ended up removing half of my cervix. This was after I was done having children...at the ripe old age of 20.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Tinkermumma...she is asking about a colposcopy, which is vaginal. Not a colonoscopy, which is the camera up your hiney.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had them take some of the inside of my uterus. It's probably no different. A little uncomfortable but not a knife stabbing pain
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nope never had it done
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's not bad. I was nervous too and once they did it I found out I had to have two biopsy (one right after the colpo and the other was while I was pregnant). I was diagnosed with HPV and that was four years ago. I am happy to say HPV is gone now! Healthy as I can be and pregnant with my second child...first on is a monster child. lol
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 1:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes but it was yrs ago. They gave me meds to relax me and not care.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had one a few months ago. My pap came back abnormal and so I went in and had this done. It's not so bad but I did have a lot of burning when they used the vinergar solution which helps show abnormal cell growth. But the only reason for the burn is because I had an infection. There will be some monor discomfort and if you are not pregnant they will go ahead with a biopsy. The scariest part for me though was before the did the colposcopy when the doctor was telling me about all the different stages of cancer cells of the cervix. But you will be fine through it i'm sure. good luck...
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010