how do I get my son to sleep through the night if were in the same room?

my sister in law says at 6 months he is able to go about 12 hours without eating but i just dont see how hes hungry every two hours still.

ilovejayden21

Asked by ilovejayden21 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• All babies are different. He may need to eat during the night. Or he might wake up for different reasons. Your SIL is misinformed.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would try adding some baby cereal to his diet (it would be good to give it to him at night before bed to keep him fuller through out the night). You should also make sure that he is actually full before putting him to bed. But I think adding some baby cereal to his diet would definatly help.
    goodluck!
    Tinkermumma

Answer by Tinkermumma at 12:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My kids never slept through before 1 year. Every 2 hours does seem too much though. Can you try giving him a pacifier instead of the bottle? Try to get him to go 3 hours at least. Then keep pushing it further and further if you can. It's tough, I know, but eventually he will sleep through! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Research has shown that baby cereal and making sure a child is full has no impact on them being developmentally ready to sleep through the night.

Read: Infant sleep and bedtime cereal - Macknin ML, Medendorp SV, Maier MC. Department of Pediatrics, Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• thank yall very much..my mom said the same thing about the cereal and hes been eating it for about a month now and i just started food in jars. I also heard babies on formula sleep longer bc their more full
    ilovejayden21

Comment by ilovejayden21 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He'll sleep when he's ready although every 2 hours at 6 months would cause me to literally lose my mind. My kids were all formula fed and all 5 were sleeping through the night by 5 1/2 months at the latest. My youngest will be 5 months tomorrow and sleeps about 12 hours at night and has since he was 3 1/2 months. He doesn't eat any baby food. My older son got cereal in his bottle for reflux and was eating a ton of baby food at 6 months and it made no difference to the amount he slept (he started the cereal at 3 weeks and still got up every 2 hours until he was a little older) just like my kids who didn't get cereal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• wow so it sounds like formula is the miracle cure
    ilovejayden21

Comment by ilovejayden21 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010