Can't take it anymore!

I live in the apartment upstairs from my MIL. The floors are thin and we can hear EVERYTHING. Obviously, she knows we have a baby! Yet, she and her husband insist on yelling back and forth to each other, banging around in the rooms and cupboards and drawers (slamming them) beneath our bedrooms at ungodly hours, talking at the tops of their lungs ALL DAY LONG, and pounding, yes pounding on God knows what.

Yes, she has a right to live her life. This is her home. And, she does a lot for us, so I feel bad for even complaining. But we have told her countless times to please keep it down. She knows our baby is a light sleeper, and that he doesn't get enough sleep as is. She knows we are sleep deprived as a result. But for some reason, the constant noise just continues. Right now I can hear her in the kitchen talking loudly and pounding on something. My blood is boiling, but I can't say anything because we are indebted to her. I am praying my baby doesn't wake up from his nap because of it.

We cannot afford to move out. We just can't. Maybe in a few years, but this is NYC, and housing is not cheap. I am not looking for any solutions here. I know there is no easy answer. I just needed to vent. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. My husband isn't here all day, so he thinks I exaggerate it. Trust me, I don't. The neighborhood is a ghetto, so I don't feel safe even taking my baby for a walk. I tell my husband this but he takes it personally, even though his own brothers and wives got out as fast as they could and haven't looked back. Our relationship is starting to crumble.
Sh*t... the baby just woke up....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• If you've asked her nicely to hold it down and she refuses, then there's not a whole lot you can do, but put up w/it until you have enough $ to move out. Remember the saying, "Good fences make good neighbors"? Well, "separate house make good in-laws". Best wishes!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 5:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Can you just start playing backround music at your house and the baby will get used to the music?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I've never heard of being bothered by the downstairs neighbors. Bang back? That's the only thing I can think of.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We had an unruly 3 yr old above us when I lived in an apartment with my dd. She was almost 2. He would stand on his chest of drawers and jump off and it was soooo loud!! It used to scare her but she got used to it and would say Andre or thunder? if it was Andre she was fine..if it was thunder she was scared lol. I know what you mean about loud neighbors!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had somewhat of the same problem it got to the point where nothing would help keep my lil one down,, me and my hubby saved up money and got our own place.. it is amazing.
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• complain anonymously? she doesnt have to know its you it could ber her next door neighbor or the neighbor below her
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• She knows the neighbors too well, and the basement below her belongs to her. No one lives there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe can you put down some rugs? Maybe that will help block some of the noise?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We have rugs. Can't imagine what it would sound like without them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Agreed!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010