How do you keep school age kids entertained during their holiday break?

I'll be watching my 10 yr old nephew for 2 weeks while he is on break. I'm afraid he will be deathly bored because the only entertainment of toys I have are for the 4 yrs & under crowd. I don't mind some tv & video games but not the 10+ hrs he is here. I live in the midwest so outside time is limited. And I babysit other kids so going anywhere is out. If you are home w/ school age kids during the holiday, what do you do to keep them from being bored all day?

momma_of_kyky

Asked by momma_of_kyky at 12:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Projects, cook, pay him a little to help you out....

If it is safe let him run errons and stuff like that. Set up a play date for him, someone has to have a kid his age around you.... Good luck!!!!! Get a model, of some sort....

Hey, boys should know how to cook too, my son cooks he is 7 well at least he works in the kitchen and cleans......
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Michael's and AC Moore has some cool, inexpensive craft ideas for kids which would be especially appropriate before Christmas (assuming he celebrates) so he could make gifts for parents and other family. We play a lot of board games too - and they're on sale at stores now!
    Some of it depends on what they like - my daughter loves to write stories, so I'll start one and then have her finish it out. My son is more of a Star Wars/Pokemon type kid and he'll spend a long time organizing his cards and creating decks out of them.
    They also both enjoy cooking/baking holiday treats! You could make cookies together and then let him decorate them.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Camp PS3
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010