Does anyone have a hard time with letting certain people hold their baby?

It bothers me so much when my sister in law holds our baby. Maybe its because we don't have a great relationship? I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way? It bothers me so much when she tells me what to do with my baby and she a few years younger than me. She is 23 years old has no children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes.
    We are given "mommy instincts" for a reason. I wouldn't enjoy advice from a non-mother either.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• oooo i hated letting some people hold my son.. it just made me want to start a fit.. and in my family no one asks they just pick up your child doesnt matter what they are doing. it doesnt get much better... and it still drives me bonkers and he is 17 mo
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes. When my son was two months old, my in-laws came to visit. I didn't want them holding my sweet baby, and the second they left, I gave him a bath.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• LOL I had issues with my bratty SIL holding any of my babies too...and to top it off she was a smoker so she only got to hold the baby on occasion... than god she has moved to OK...far far away!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Honestly? No. Unless they were someone I felt would drop or hurt the baby, I have never had an issue letting anyone hold my kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes a few extended family members. I am not close to them and I don't like a few of them, so it's hard for me to see them interact with my child in any way.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes I have a problem with anyone who isn't family holding my baby.
    frstimemom2010

Answer by frstimemom2010 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't have a problem with the holding as much as I don't want my in laws to have my son for the night. It's complety natural to feel that way a little bit.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I hated letting some people hold my son, mostly those who were know-it-all non-moms like you were saying. I remember my son was young, but he was strong and liked to throw himself back. My sister visited (she's older than me with no kids and thinks she knows everything) and I kept asking her to keep her hand on his back when she walked around cause he liked to do this. She just shot me a look and half-@ss did it. Well, he threw himself back really hard and she nearly dropped him on the floor. Sobering moments like this are when you realize we do have these instincts for a reason! I also didn't like my husband's father holding our baby. When he was sleeping my son would bury his face in his chest and I asked him to turn his head to breathe & he would laugh it off. He also threw him in the air and caught him at 2 months and tried to feed him mustard to see his face reaction. Makes sense I didn't like them holding him!!!
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 1:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, but that's because my daughter won't let anyone but me and my husband hold her, so I don't have to really worry about that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010