I am a HUGE eater... how can i cut back...

I have gained a ton of weight in the last 2 years ... I actually only eat twice, sometimes 3 times a day but I eat big portions and I know this is why I have gotten to fat...

I am trying to cut down on carbs, calories, and portions ... The problem is when it comes to eating I just keep thinking about it if I dont eat more... Like today for breakfast I had 1 waffle, instead of 3 or 4 ...and I was fine...then for lunch I made piggies in a blanket for lunch ( beef franks in a crousant roll ) ... usually I could eat probably 5 of them... today I only had 2 but now I want another ... and I am trying to keep myself from eating it for atleast a few hours ( trying to do small meals sread throughout the day) ... I am also planning on make a small portion supper ( using a smaller baking dish so we will all have to have smaller portions) ...

It is like I am not even hungry but I just want it.... I drank alot of water before eating a meal so I feel full... it is all in my head and i dont know how to make it stop !!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Try eating 5 times a day, instead of 2/3 times.... Don't buy junk, by veges with healthiery dips so if you munch it is not bad at all.

Take your time, you can do it.....

Good luck!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Gum works for some people. You could also try eating something with hardly any calories at all like celery. Or drinking more water but putting something like crystal light in it for flavoring.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• eat soups...the low sodium ones. I swear by it...2 of my sisters both 50lbs overweight did a soup and vegetable only diet. 3-6 cans a day with water to drink only. The lost it all in about 3 months. oh and of course taking a 20 min walk once a day...good luck
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 12:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Good lord I know the feeling. It's like my stomach and brain don't communicate. I can be literally stuffed but I still go looking for food. I have turned to low-carb eating. I just count carbs, not calories. I snack all day if I want but drink plenty of crystal light. I also exercise daily.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You're right, if you drink a lot of water before meals, it will help you to feel full. But like you know, it all just boils down to choice. It's about self control, and chosing to do better for yourself. It's about what's important to you. What's more important? A second helping or better health and a longer life, while looking better too? It's totally up to you.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Cutting down calories is fine, but watch WHAT you are eating. Make sure you're eating the right kinds of carbs and cutting back on sugars. Eat smaller meals a few times a day. Have veggies already cut and bagged in portion sizes in the fridge to snack on throughout the day...same with nuts. Portioning is the hardest part so I try to make sure I have everything all portioned out a day in advanced to make it easier for me during the day and then that way I'm not stressing about eating & don't feel guilty about what I'm eating.
    Chew a low cal gum during the day if you still feel hungry OR brush your teeth right after eating. Its been proven that people w/ a clean mouth don't want to eat as much... Its also okay to eat a larger breakfast if you're actually going to be up and about during the day afterwards, just make sure its healthy. A little exercise during the day never hurts either :) good luck!
    No_Difference

Answer by No_Difference at 1:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I understand - I just like eating, too! Dieting or cutting out certain foods don't work for me - not enough will power to stick with it. Here are a few things that work for me:
    1) Eat more - more fruits and veggies!! I'm try to actually reach that 7-9 servings of fruits and veggies every day (real ones, not fruit roll-ups). I buy lots of different kinds of produce, store the fruit on the counter in pretty bowls so it's right there, and I try to make sure I get at least 2 servings of produce in each meal and at least one serving in each snack. Thinking about it as eating MORE, but healthier makes it something I can stick with.
    2) Eat more often! I eat 3 meals, with at least 2 snacks in between. I can't stand being hungry, but I make sure each meal and snack is packed with produce and is small.
    3) Use my son as inspiration. Would I let him to eat a bag of chips and dip for lunch? Then I shouldn't either!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• eat lots of fruit & veggies inbetween those unhealthy meals you just mentioned. If you eat fruits & veggies in between your meals, it will help you stay full longer.

Waffles & pigs in a blanket are not foods that will help you lose weight. The carbs first thing in the morning will burn real fast & you will get hungry quicker. Eat protien for breakfast. Like 2 boiled eggs & a piece of toast, that will help you stay full longer. Have a banana for a snack. For lunch, eat some soup with a cracker or two, a few hours later, eat some grapes or a salad. For dinner, you can have a small steak with some oven roasted potaotes. Keep food simple & pure & stay away from the super processed foods you buy in the frozen section. If you try to eat more whole foods, that alone will probably make you lose weight.

Also, carbs turn into sugar, which turns into fat. You need to cur back on the carbs...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• When my Grandma lost weight this is what she did: She used a smaller size plate, portioned out her food and only filled the plate 1x. Then when everyone was served she put the extra food away before she sat down to eat. That way there was no food left out to 'pick at'. She also kept healthy food in the house to snack on (like fruits and veggies) , and instead of eating just 3 meals a day she would have her 3 small meals and she would have 2-3 snacks (mid-morning, afternoon, after supper). She also went walking everyday, and in bad weather she walked on the treadmill.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my trick is when i choose what to eat i eat greens first then by the time i get to the other foods i'm usually full on green foods !
    christinahilton

Answer by christinahilton at 2:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010