Why always our house??

So my daughter has a friend that calls almost everyday wanting to come over to our house and play, I don't mind SOME days, but all the time. When my daughter wants to go play over there the mom ALWAYS says no. What do I do??

2prettylittle1s

Asked by 2prettylittle1s at 12:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I prefer everybody at my house. I say no if they ask to go elsewhere. At least you have the peace of mind that your daughter is safe and happy under your watch.
    Plus, if you don't feel like letting her friend over, just say no.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Limit it to once a week, until you begin to see once a week in the other direction!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I totally agree with aliceinalgonac - otherwise, you're just being used as a free babysitter.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I also preferred for the kids to be at my house with their friends. I felt like I knew what was going on, how they were being supervised, what they were watching on tv...etc., My youngest is 19 now, and right through the teen years my house was the primary hang out, and I liked it that way. It's worth the extra work, and even providing the snacks.

Every now and then I'd say no, but not often.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Talk with this girls mom and find out why she doesn't allow your dd to go over there. It could be as simple as she's just too overwelmed to deal with it. You can also suggest a fair schedule to days for her to have them and then for you to have them.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sure, she may not want the extra noise. She may not want the inconvenience. She may not want to be bothered. Sometimes, it really is that simple.
    More often than not, my children's friends are at my house. I usually don't mind. I usually like having the kids friends here. But I do mind what you're describing: "always". "Always" is not ok. You are being taken advantage of. You're convenient. Start telling the friend "no" most of the time, only allow it once in a while.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would talk to the other mom and say "I don't know if you are aware of this, but Susie is calling us everyday and asking if she can come over to play. While we love to have Susie over, and the girls play so well together, it really is inconvenient for me to have her calling and asking to come over every day. I just can't do play dates everyday.  Is there a way we can trade off houses for  play dates? I would also appreciate it play dates could be set up ahead of time, and not asked the day of." I would  limit the day to one day a week at your house and the rule would be that it has to be set up AHEAD of time (like the day before) NOT her calling the day of asking to come over.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe there is a reason she is saying no...

You can't punish the kids because of the mom, so I would let her come over and play when you don't mind your daughter having company....

:) Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was in that position once. I went and talked to her, nicely of course. Told her I felt likmy child wasn't welcome ot their house. She said she just didn't want the extra noise. We talked it over and she started letting her come over more. It didn't really bother me because I was always there to check on them. My daughter was the one that was upset. Maybe you can try that. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would def talk to the other mom and see why. It could be that shes embarassed to have people over (thats how my neighbor was for the longest time) or it could be she doesn't want the extra noise (thats how my mom was w/ my friends because my dad worked 3rd shift). See if you can come to some middle ground.
    No_Difference

Answer by No_Difference at 1:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010