dogs

my dog just decided instead of letting me know he wants out he gonna go in my kitchen and poop and pee, im pregnant and i've been told i cant pick anything like that up now what do i do

angelbaby1323

Asked by angelbaby1323 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pets

• I picked up my dog's poop and pee when I was pregnant if she had accidents. I've only heard you can't mess with cat poo.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• agree only cat poo!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my ob told not to mess with either
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't think it applies to dogs -- just cats because of the litter!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 1:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• so i should be fine picking it up then
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Your supposed to avoid cleaning litter boxes because cats cary Toxoplasma gondii which is a microorganism and can cause toxoplasmosis. Some on is also supposed to change the litter daily to help reduce the risk of those microorganisms traveling around. Dogs don't carry that so you should be fine. Its more of don't clean up a TON of poo and pee during the day so you're not exposed to the different toxins in the fecal matter... Cleaning it once or twice a day won't hurt provided you wash your hands well afterwards.
    No_Difference

Answer by No_Difference at 1:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You can, just as long as you wash your hands really well after you clean it up. As well don't touch any other surface, including your body, until you've washed your hands.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• all done and taken care of now and washed my hands 3times just now not feeling so great
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I worked at a vet clinic for years even through my pregnancy. It is cat poop you have to worry about, although cats can be tested and treated for toxoplasmosis.   As long as gloves are worn or you are very careful not to come in contact with the poop you are fine.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• cleaning up after dog is ok while pregnant as long as u wash well afterwards. if still worried, buy disposable gloves and wear them when cleaning up mess.
    alwayslost93

Answer by alwayslost93 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010