Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I get my 8 year old to pay attention in school.

Her teacher thinks she has ADHD.

Answer Question

Asked by paulswife208 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 5 (60 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • She's probably bored with the way the teacher is teaching the information. My 9 yr old son is the same way.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Before you head off to the Dr's, try giving her some coffee. If the coffee does not make her hyper, she may have it. Dont be afraid of medication. Once the dosage is adjusted correctly, it can make a world of difference. Medication, along w/ a behavior plan for school & at home will help make her a better, happier student. My son has it, and made trips around the dining room table after doing about 10 minutes of his homework. Then he'd sit for 10 more, & make more laps. Can you imagine if he tried doing that in school?! We worked out a behavior plan w/ daily updates on his behavior & so forth, & gave him goals to work toward. He ended up graduating 3rd in his class from HS in '09 w/ a 4.4 gpa! Good luck to you & your child. :)

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • What does her doctor think? Teachers should not be trying to diagnose. What is happening in the classroom today to help your daughter pay attention?

    How does she do academically? Is she bored? Is she able to focus and concentrate on things outside of the classroom? Look up the various 'red flags' associated with ADHD - any of them sound like your daughter? What do you see when she's doing homework?


    Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Her teacher is not a dr. what do you think? Does she have trouble paying attention to things at home? Is she bored?

    Answer by buzymamaof3 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You can't "get" a child to pay attention in school. If the teacher thinks he has ADHD, he needs to be evaluated so they can give him the services he needs.

    Answer by KTMOM at 8:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • What KTMOM said.

    Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Have you talked to the school about what the teacher is saying?

    Answer by sstepph at 9:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Talk to the childs Doctor. They will geiv you a form for you and the teacher to fill out. You may also need to write a letter to your school special education committee to do an evaluation.
    Teachers are NOT supposed to diagnose They can suggest that you have your child checked out

    Answer by justgrape723 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.