What is the best advice you ever got from your mother or someone you look up to?

The best advice I ever got was about being responsible and about respecting the next person.

kim0167

Asked by kim0167 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Don't ever be dependent on a man. If you want something done, more times than not you have to do it yourself.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My mom told me on my wedding day, "You've made your bed. Now go sleep in it." Some might think she was angry or upset, but she wasn't. She was simply telling me at the ripe old age of 18 that I had married for life and to go and make the most of it. It was the best advice anyone ever gave me, and when there were problems, I knew better than to go running back to Mama and Daddy, because they had given me to my husband and they meant for me to stay with him. That was almost 46 years ago, and I appreciate that advice more with every passing day!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Love everyone - even the people you can't stand (not saying I always follow that, but it is good advice).
    GetfitwitMaisha

Answer by GetfitwitMaisha at 1:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• 2 weeks after getting married I called my Mom. I was crazy tired because I wasn't sleeping good. My husband snored sooooo badly. She said "Well, honeyu, you're married now talk to him about it and work it out..I gotta go BYE" I was floored..but it was the best thing...I learned early on to talk about things with him...and we've just kept on doing that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was complaining about having to be at work one Monday morning, and a manager (who I worked with but didn't report to) looked at me seriously and said "Then go home." He went on to explain that I made the choice to come here - each day I make these decisions. If this really isn't something I want, then I should make a different choice. He was right! I am completely free to make choices about my life. There is no whiny victim here.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• In our Pre-Marriage class at our church, the pastor went through many issues with us: money, in-laws, children, decision-making, who does what chores, etc. But the one that stands out as being the most helpful was to "Celebrate Your Differences" rather than resenting the other one or trying to change them or complaining to them or about them to other people, or embarrassing them at a party about an issue. It was so simple and yet profoundly practical since we are so very different.  33 years together and despite some really serious issues to deal with, we still love and respect each other.

ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 4:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Never let anyone else tell you who to be. You are who you are and everyone needs to respect that. Never change!
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I am still waiting for some good advise from anyone really. I pretty much have figured everything out for myself since I was a child. My Mom lives in La La Land. Like Scarlett O'hara in Gone with the Wind "Fiddle de de, I'll think about it tomorow". That's my Mom.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have received 2 good pieces of advice over the years:
    1. Start as you mean to go on - in other words, don't do something for now thinking the other person will somehow change. They won't and you'll end up resentful.
    2. Ask yourself "What's the worst thing that could happen and could I live with that?" - I have asked myself this question when pondering some major life changes and the answer has never steered me wrong yet.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Pick your battles because this too shall pass! Gospel!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010