Alternative Religious Items & Home Sales...

This is NOT my question, but it was a question that was written in by someone else to one of my favorite Pagan FAQ sites and I wanted to see what everyone here felt... How would YOU answer this question?

"I've been trying to sell my house but I'm having some trouble. My realtor is trying to get me to "hide all that witch stuff," but I don't think I should have to, because I'm proud to be Wiccan and I don't hide it. I feel like my realtor is being disrespectful of my beliefs."

**I'll give my answer in a bit, but I would love to see how others would answer it as well.**

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd put it away if it stood between getting the house sold or not.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Truthfully I think it's in the best interest of a seller of any religion to not have religious items on display when selling a house. You want to keep the house "neutral" and you want to have th potential buyers to be able to see themselves in the house. Any religious imagery (mainstream or alternative religions) will make that difficult.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would be the same as the realtor. Most people are afraid of this kind of stuff. Jumping the gun and calling them crazy. SO I think it would impct the sale overall. You would think the person trying to sell their house would know that. It's not like she's telling her to get rid of it. Just maybe put it in storage while trying to sell.
    Anonymous

• I agree with CraftingMama that neutral is best. It's particularly important to not display items from a less-mainstream religion, because there are those who might be shocked, frightened, or just turned off. No matter whether you believe that's right or wrong, it's just the way that it is.
    We sold our house earlier this year and we took down family photos, artwork, etc. I wasn't offended; I realize that the less personal items on display--including religious ones--the better, period.
    If someone wants to refuse to de-clutter their religious items on principle, it's fine, but they should realize that they may cost themselves a sale.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• "De-cluttering" is always recommended when trying to sell. By taking down personal items of all sorts and making the house neutral more people will be able to see themselves in the house and will be more likely to buy.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 1:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• General real estate advice is to put away ALL religious items (and personal photos, and knick-knack collections...), regardless of what religion you are, since it depersonalizes the home, making prospective buyers more able to envision themselves living there.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• She's not being discriminatory, s he's doing her job. Like it or not, de-cluttering and de-personalising your house will bring you a higher price.
    It's hard to buy a house when you see so much of some one else inside, it makes it harder to feel yours, so you're less likely to buy it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• All religious items from any religion should be put away. The key to selling a house is to make it as generic as possible while still showing it as a livable, lived-in space. That means all religious, hobby and family stuff goes in storage and only neutral things stay put.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can understand not wanting to "hide" who you are, but I see it as part of staging a house for sale. You want to make the house look as appealing as possible, to showcase all of its positive features, and you might not want to distract anyone - whether it be with clutter or over sized furniture or with religious things (not that I'm saying religious things are clutter, just making the point that there are many things people change to make a house sell, that make the house be seen in the best light). Like what vicesix said, you want to make the house look as though they could live there, so you want to de-personalize it as much as possible. Its not necessarily about the religion in general, but about the personalization, if that makes sense...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think when it comes to selling your house, that anything extremely personal in nature should be put away. This is not only for your protection (theft, breakage, identity loss, etc.) but also makes good "business sense". You need your buyer to be able to envision themselves in your house. How can they do that if the whole place is so deeply imprinted with your life?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010