Co Sleeping moms..what???

If you or have co sleep with your babies, did they become very needy babies?

I have 2 kids, I did not co sleep with my daughter so I didnt have the problem I am having now. My ds is 7wks tomorrow and I have been co sleeping with him since he was born, but he has become very needy as he wont get to sleep without me next to him and if he does fall asleep with me when I put him down he will wake up screaming, but as soon as I hold him again he falls right back to sleep. There are nights that he keeps me up until 3am because he will not sleep by himself, I have tried laying a blanket next to him and I have tried laying my pillow next to him so that he can smell my scent but nothing is working. Because of this, I have a hard time being intimate with my dh.

What should I do??

XperfectmommyX

Asked by XperfectmommyX at 1:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • We've never co-slept with our daughter and she still gets needy at night. She slept in the same room with us in her own crib/bed until she was about 17 months old. She's 28 months now and thinks she has to lay in bed with us to fall asleep.

My mom let me cosleep with her and my dad as a baby and I would never sleep in my own room. I slept on a mattress beside their bed, on the floor, until I was 13 years old. That's oen thing I'm not proud of, but I'm definitely not wanting to go down that road with my daughter.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I co-slept but didn't bedshare. My child is no more needy than any other child of her age. Each child is different, develops at different rates, and has different needs than another one.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I co-slept with all of my children. I wouldn't call it 'needy' - they are comfortable with your there. Think of it this way: that baby just spend 9 months enclosed in a tiny, dark space with your heartbeat and voice as its white noise. Now it's in this large, cold noisy world. Being next to you is a comfort. I got a carrier/sling and I wore my babies as much as I could. I found that they cried way less than other babies, and that they were fine when it was time to "move on" from the sling.
    GetfitwitMaisha

Answer by GetfitwitMaisha at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Needy is part of the infant job description. Doesn't matter how you put them to sleep. Some babies are just like this, and the ones who are will do it even if you'd NEVER co-slept.

He's 100% normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I co-slept. He obviously likes it. When you co-sleep is he content? Just go with it. You and your husband will figure it out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I co sleep, though we didn't start until my son was around a year old, and at first it was just because I was uncomfortable with the way the heat worked in the apartment we lived in (each room upstairs had its own thermostat, and I didn't want to have to heat the whole house all night, but I didn't want to have to have two shut doors between myself and our son with the heat on, especially since you had to turn the heat in his room up to 80 for it to even turn on). But he's been sleeping with us ever since, especially since my husband started working third shift last year. He'll be three soon, so he's been co sleeping for about 2 years now, and we don't have problems finding our "us" time or with him being overly clingy - though in your case your child is still very young and needs you more than he will as he gets older. Its normal for an infant, its not anything you're doing. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• 7 week old babies are, by nature, needy so I would say he's right where he should be and it has nothing to do with co-sleeping.
    Anonymous

• Co-slept and co-sleeping with both my children Aubree is 4 and Gabrielle is almost 8 months Aubree became needy after she suffered a febrile seizure Gaby is NOT needy unless she's sick
    bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 5:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Based on my experience, yes, lol! But I think alot of it has to do with the childs personality also.
    momof4qtz

Answer by momof4qtz at 7:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010