how do I get baby to take bottle of breastmilk from daycare provider(me)?

b will take bottle from mom and dad but fights me all the way I can get her to take maybe a oz every four hours mom is stressed and I'm starting to stress

daycareangelmom

Asked by daycareangelmom at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the baby is hungry, she'll eat from you. She'll probably be fine with what you give her and nurse a lot when she's with her parents in a familiar space.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• it's week 2 though ?
    daycareangelmom

Comment by daycareangelmom (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Baby is likely reverse cycling. They take what they *need* but often are very content to only have an ounce or two till they can nurse again. NO baby will starve herself. Tell mom it's actually a GOOD thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You're still unfamiliar to her in the sense that you're not her parents. She'll be fine.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Have you tried to feed the baby with the mom there? Maybe she can offer you tips. When my son was little, there were some specific ways I knew to hold him to make him comfortable enough to eat, and I'd show the tricks to our babysitter (and MIL) so she could get him to eat, too.

If the baby just doesn't know you enough, could you ask the mom to give you a t-shirt she's worn (so it smells like mom), and then you can hold the baby on the shirt while trying to feed her.

Just checking, are you using the same formula? If it's pumped milk, do you need to warm it so it's at body temp (like when the baby drinks it from mom?)

Good luck!!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Here is my idea: I would ask the mom if she could snuggle/sleep with one of baby's blankets (so it can pick up her 'smell') and bring that blanket with baby to daycare. Then when it is time to feed baby drape the blanket on your chest and snuggle baby up to the blanket-- that way you 'smell like mom' to her and she may be more willing to eat. Good luck!

feeding baby

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Have you tried having mom sleep with a lovie or a blanket and then holding that by the baby's face while you feed her? A lot of times just smelling mommy will make everything better.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Miz Lee and Sebbiemama got it. Then Miasmommy backed it up. LOL Just want to add don't stress when you feed the baby. They can pick up on it easily. Make sure the bottle is warm enough which I'm sure you do, but it never hurts to double check.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• An oz an hour is not so bad. Baby isnt going to starve on that and can make up for any extra calories when mom's there. (Which is probably what she's trying to do anyway.)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010