how alike is your family and your husband's family?

My husband and I are night and day and so is our families.

His family was the "ideal" partridge family. There are 6 children and his mom was a stay home wife that waited on her husband hand and foot. His family said school was more important and didn't make him work for anything, everything he had was "handed" to him.(nothing wrong with that, just different from mine)

My mom was the backbone of my family. She did everything from take care of me and my little sister, run a business, roof the house, took care of all the housework and All of the yard work. She did everything! My family made me earn everything I had. If I wanted a car and gas...I had to have job. I never had anything "handed" to me.

Are your families night and day and does it cause a few tiffs now and then with your husband??

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Complete opposites doesn't even come close to describing it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My family is very different from my husband's. I am very close with all of my relatives, especially on my mom's side. All of my aunts, uncles, cousins and I still have two of my grandparents. My husband's family aren't close at all. We just moved to FL in January (which is where my husband is from and where his family is at) and two of his siblings haven't bothered to see us since moving here. We've tried calling them but they never return our calls. So we've given up. I'm sure things would be different with his family though if both of his parents were still here. His mother died when he was 15 and he says that's when things were never the same and he lost his father in 2008 and it's like two out of three of his siblings just don't care to keep in contact anymore. Oh well.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My husband grew up in a single parent violent household. His grandmother was his saving grace. I grew up with a mom and a dad (they eventually divorced when I was a teen). My parents didn't spank. My husband got beat. My parents put us first. My husband came last. DH and I saw raising children in very different ways. He came from a basis of fear. I came from the point of view of giving them freedom. In the beginning we had ALOT of arguments about child rearing.....ALOT. After 13 yrs of marriage we've learned to find a bit of a middle ground (well...closer to mine than his - he's come around on alot of issues). But I did not allow any spanking/beating of kids - that was one thing I would not compromise on.
    GetfitwitMaisha

Answer by GetfitwitMaisha at 1:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• all the women made really shitty decisions in the mate dept.
    Picking guys who treat them badly,then bitch about it and play the victim
    His family are the most BORING people in the world. I'd rather watch paint dry.
    Mine keep you laughing all the time!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Total opposites. I don't even have enough space to list them all.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• opposites..that dont attract!!
    Onenamillion

Answer by Onenamillion at 4:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Totally opposite here, too. So he doesn't understand my family, and it definitely gets in the way.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yeah my family is close but not his family he is not that close
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• for starters..my hubs was an only child (so doesn't have much experience w/kids..cousins and him are mostly around the same age). he wasn't "extremely" spoiled..but definitely spoiled. his parents have been married now for about 24yrs..but have an odd relationship (from my POV anyway). they seem to just "co-exist" to me..each kind of have their own things they like to do...BUT, it obviously works for them. the rest of his family is kind of the same way..his grandparents have been married for going on 55yrs now..the most WONDERFUL people I have ever met.
    me on the other hand..I have 5 siblings..3 have a different father than me and my younger brother. my mom has been divorced twice now, currently with my step-father (#3, even though they're not married). I have 6 nieces and nehpews, and somewhat a lot of experience with kids.
    we grew up in the same town though...same highschool (which is where we met). opposites attract :)
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 5:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can not even say how different our families are! I am like your spouse and he came from the wrong side of the tracks if you know what I mean. Now my hubby is more like me...it took a lot of training ...lol...he really stepped up.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2010