Son won't wear hat, outerwear!

I guess this is typical of many toddlers. How do I get my 2-year-old to keep a hat on in the winter?! Chin straps, etc, don't work.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 1:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep putting it back on. wear him down!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe he just gets hot? Maybe you can try taking him to pick out his own hat. Let him know that this will be his special winter hat. Toddlers are more prone to do something if they think it's their idea.
    GetfitwitMaisha

Answer by GetfitwitMaisha at 1:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If he wants to go outside, just tell him he has to keep it on if he goes outside. If he takes if off, take him inside. If it's somewhere you have to go, maybe try giving him a special treat if he keeps it on the whole time (or does a pretty good job of it anyway). Mine always fussed at first, but once they got used to it had a hard time not putting it on in the spring.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I never pushed the hat. I mean, if you are sledding, yes, but just to go from the house to the car or a quick trip outside I didn't bother.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I need to show this to my 19 y/o who walked out into the below zero temps. w/ a light hoodie on! Hate to say it, but it doesnt get any easier! At least when they're 19 they're SUPPOSED to know better. As for a 2 y/o, go to the dollar store or a resale shop & let him pick out a couple different types of hats. Maybe if he gets to choose, then he'll be more apt to wear it. Good luck! (I dont know what's worse, the terrible 2's or the teens!- lol)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010