AHHH Thanksgiving is just around the corner....What do i do??

Hey yall, well I'm a young wife and mother (19) and well this will be the first time for me to cook thanksgiving by myself. My husband is having some of his army buddies come over, and well i"m freaking out because I'm not the best cook in the world. And I just have no idea what I'm going to do. If anyone has anyadvice for me I would really really appreciate it. Thanks

cmjt

Asked by cmjt at 3:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Most groceries will sell you a whole pre-cooked meal, that you just take home and re-heat. It's all the regular Thanksgiving food and tastes good. I did it one year and nobody knew. I threw the packages away before they arrived!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• First off, get one of the Reynold's Oven Bags for your turkey. It completely idiot-proofs it, since it eliminates the need for basting, and ensures that your turkey should come out golden brown and moist. Just make sure you calulate the time right which is about 20-30 minutes per pound if thawed. As for the sides, well theres several brands of yams that have simple sweet potato casserole recipes right on the label. Tell your husband to have each guest stop and pick up something from the deli, like a pie, some potato salad, or baked beans. In our family, it's sommon courtesy to bring a dish when you're invited. Oh, and don't stress yourself about making everyone happy. It's hard to make such a huge meal by yourself even when you're a great cook.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you are planning on gravy do yourself a favor and buy the jarred or canned variety,. It tastes great and is foolproof. I have been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for over 30 years and homemade has thrown me for a loop more times than I can count. Relax and have a glass of wine while you are cooking, part of enjoying the day is spending it together not focusing on the food and trust me, guys will eat just about anything.
    cat216

Answer by cat216 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes, the oven bags are AWESOME. It makes sure everything stays moist and flavorful. The canned yams are great...usually it just asks for cinnamon, brown sugar, some juice from the can, and marshmallows for the candied yams. If you know how to make one good dessert, great! My family buys Kings Hawaiian bread instead of rolls, homemade stuffing isn't too hard either...just season bread and leave it out to dry, then do it almost like you would with the boxed stuff by heating chicken broth and adding your dried bread to it...if you want to get creative with it, add a little celery and onion to the broth, boil it til the veggies are soft and then add the bread. Experiment a little with the sides before thanksgiving. I don't think your hubby will mind :) lol it will help you fine tune your recipes and get more comfortable with how long everything takes. Remember that everyone will leave fed, and its about having a good time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008