child not adjusting..

I have a 3 y/o daughter that began Montessori. Our experience with this program has not been good. She is very excited to go to school and is a bright child. However, in the 3 hours that she is at school she turns into the classroom bully/teacher terror. 3 out of 5 school days she comes home with a note telling me that her attitude and actions are poor. We've had a conference with the teacher and I feel as if I came away not knowing much more about why my child would turn a complete 360 from the happy bubbling child, to the cranky I don't like my teacher kid that I pick up. I've called the school district to see about taking her out of school, because apparently she is not ready, but they asked me to schedule a conference with the principal of that school. So my question I suppose is what do ask the principal, what can I do to make her attitude stay bright and chipper while at school.

BritainyD

Asked by BritainyD at 3:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would maybe work on an award system. If sahe does good in school that day she gets a piece of gum after school. OR A star on a chart and when she has 7 stars she gets a special toy and or treat. I would maybe try that and see what the out come is. My three year old likes to work for things and get rewards or prizes as he calls them. I hope things work out for you and good luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 3:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It sounds like your daugher's personality is changing at school for some reason. There is obviously something she's feeling she can't articulate. Just because it works for other kids dosen't mean it's going to work for yours. I'd switch to a different preschool.

She's only three years old. There could be a variety of things causing her difficulty. Maybe 3 hours of stimulation is just too much for her.

She's only three. I don't think they should pressure you to keep her there. Never forget, you are the ONLY person who will care about your child the way you can. You are her advocate.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I had similiar issue with my grandson. Our problem turned out to be the teacher. She wasn't a bad teacher..per se. It was simply that their personalilties just did not mesh well. We changed her claaroon on advice from a counselor and voila..suddenly he loves the teacher and she obviously loves him. He went from being Number problem to the brightest kid i9n the class.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• is a 'regular' preschool am option. my daughter didn't do well in Montessori, but she thrived in pre-school of the main stream type--i don't know why, maybe it was the structure of it all.
    LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 4:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• She is only 3 and you do not have to leave her in school. Take he rout if you want to.

I homeschool and it's great :) Maybe something you could consider.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my daughter did not do well in school at two and three, so I changed it from going 5 half days per week to just two or three. she is much happier now.

I think sometimes at this age they are not totally prepared to give up so much mommy time.

you can work closely with the teacher if you cut back days so she stays caught up with the class. I teach my daughter myself on her off days. I think the fact that she is also learning with me makes it more enjoyable and is encouraging to her.
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 10:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Montessori didnt' work for DD either. I put her in a regular preschool, 3 days a week, 5 hours a day...she LOVES it!!!!!
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 12:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2008