To those who do Christmas baking.

When do you start?? Do you make it ahead and freeze? I want to start today but want it to last. Around our house, it's tough.

Iluvmy5

Asked by Iluvmy5 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't usually start baking until a couple of days before I need it. I make candy ahead of time, though.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Usually a half a week (4 days) before. At least with Sugar Cookies because there's a lot of frosting/decorating to be done with them, along with Gingerbread Men. Once those are out of the way the rest of pretty easy/quick.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I start after Thanksgiving. I like to have a large variety, and I bake for so many people that I couldn't possibly do it all if I waited until the end. I definitely freeze, and if you pack and seal your cookies carefully, they taste freshly baked. There are certain cookies that freeze especially well. Snowballs (or Mexican Wedding Cakes) I pack them in some extra powdered sugar. I make sure that I don't freeze those with strong flavors like peppermint with cookies of another flavor because the flavors will transfer. I put saran wrap between layers, and if they have a soft frosting, I freeze one layer at a time. Use a good quality container that seals tightly, and I often pack them in freezer zip lock bags, inside of tupperware.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Bake and freeze is the way to go.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I start about halfway through the month making the dough for the cookies... I fully bake the loaves and pies that I am going to make and freeze all of them. I make the cookies from frozen the day before, and just let the other things thaw out the day before... My favorite things to give people for christmas are baked goods... Hope that helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I bake off and on from Thanksgiving until New Years, usually cookies. But I expect those to get eaten long before Christmas. For Christmas I start baking a couple days before (we eat on the 24th). I guess around the 22nd and I make a TON of cookies. Like 5 different kinds and make double, sometime triple batches. Takes me a couple days to bake them all. They are usually gone by the 26th, lol (and I have to admit I eat most of them...I'm so bad around homemade cookies). I'm thinking of making a batch of peanut butter ones today because it's my birthday and I don't like cake, have a taste for cookies and it's the only kind I have all the ingredients for.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010