5 Year old Boy and girlfriends???

i over heard my son talking to a classmate at the movies this weekend about a girlfriend...i asked him her name this morning and he told me. i want him to be able to talk to me about anything and not hold back...i know that starts at a young age.how cani express to him that he has to wait for a girlfriend, we had a small talk this morning but i know i need to bring it up again and soon. i let him know that he can talk to me and i wont get mad at him..i also told him that she can be his friend and he has to wait until he is older to have a girlfriend. What else can i tell him?

Onenamillion

Asked by Onenamillion at 2:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds pretty much like what I told my dau when she started Kindergarten. At age 5, she smiled at a boy sitting at her table & he took it as an invitation to lean in & try to kiss her! She leaned BACK & told him, "Im not a g-friend for you!" (That's my girl!) I swear tho, they start earlier & younger -it's so ridiculous. I realize they probably have older siblings- like the little boy that told my dau, (now in 3rd grade) that he'd "like to cook her breakfast"! WTF! An 8 y/o saying that?! You know they hear/see it elsewhere. As long as you are clear on the time/place boundaries, then you should be fine. Keep lines of communicaiton open always- Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm not seeing an issue here. When I was 5 I had lots of "boyfriends" it's not like we were sneaking out to be together at 2am at that age... The worst it ever got was a kiss at recess... Nothing to worry about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• What are you afraid of?? its not like he's doing anything with her. Her being his girlfriend is just what he calls her! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't make too big a deal of it, at 5 a girlfriend really is just a girl that's a friend. They don't really understand romance, etc.

I think you probably said enough, and can let it go at this point.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't think that it's really a big deal. My kids come home talking about the same stuff.
    paulswife208

Answer by paulswife208 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't see the issue either. I think it's adorable. I had a "boyfriend" in kindergarten. A couple actually. And I kissed a boy the first time at 9 (on the lips...he was a friend of mine). I didn't lose my virginity until I was 19. I tease my kids about their "boyfriends" and "girlfriends" all the time. I think it is just too damn cute. My older son is 9 and already has 3 girls that like him (one is a year older and used to have this 11yo that had a crush on him). He takes it in stride. He's not into it yet but he's always nice to the girls. My 10yo dd is just getting interested in boys even if she won't admit it. She turns bright red if you even mention a certain boy in her class. It's cute.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i dont know.....kids these days are doing all kind of things that parents are unaware of....i think he is too young to even talk about girlfriends....i know kids that loose their virginity at 9 years old!!!! i dont know its not so much as being afraid, i just want him to wait and its the fact that he didnt tell me, i had to hear from one of his friends, its like he was scared he get in trouble.
    Onenamillion

Comment by Onenamillion (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't be that worried about a 5 year old, to be honest.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think its normal to have a "girlfriend" at that age, or talk about having one. They really don't know what it is, I don`t think so.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2010