• In the Spotlight:

My 18 month old has begun only taking a 30-minute nap in the afternoon. This is his only nap during the day. All other kids his age are taking 2-3 hour naps. What is going on with him? I have tried letting him cry for about 15 - 30 minutes to see if he'll go back down but he never does. Thanks!

bonipalm

Asked by bonipalm at 2:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 18 month old doesn't take 2-3 hour naps. An hour or so maybe. Every child is different.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Some kids outgrow needing a nap earlier than we'd like. How is his behavior? Is he tired during the day and just fighting sleep or is he bahaving okay?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Kids r different. I had a friend whose son never took a nap!!! She was climbing the walls.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My youngest son gave up naps altogether at 15 months. I would still make him take 'quiet time' on his bed...bed he never took a nap after that. On the other hand..my oldest had to be forced to STOP taking naps the summmer before he began kindergarten. They went full day and no naptime.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months as well and she is not taking long naps either maybe 1 hour max... But it is normally crying I hear lol... I would suggest that you let your child cry for 15 minutes checking on the diaper and bottle one more time and after you know the temperature is good, the kid is not sick, you have done everything you can with the child to calm them down. .... let them self-soothe that is the only way they will stop and go to sleep I have found it works with Lillian.
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I only let her cry for about 45 minutes max after I check everything too... if she doesn't stop then I let her come back out and take a later nap I put her down at 11 am normally but she can go down as late as 3 pm and if she goes down that late she will go to bed for the night at 8 instead of 7-730.
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son did this when he was giving up naps around 20 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010