How could my bank do this?!

Okay so I just found out today that my bank changed its name and deactivated my card without any notification to me. No letter in the mail...no email...no automated phone call. Their new customer service number is off the hook busy and I can't do anything on their website because I don't have my new PIN. I can't use my card. I don't know if my checks are still good. I have absolutely no access to my money. I have to go to the bank after work to find out what the hell they are going to do to give me access to my money now. I don't even know if my account number is still good. I have child support supposed to be deposited tomorrow and my pay check on the 15th. I am so mad I could cry. Would you stay with your bank if they did this?

Soteria79

Asked by Soteria79 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope, I'm pretty sure something is not legal about this. I've had banks change names and this never happened. Not a good way to start off. I'd close my account asap.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, i would not stay.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, I would not stay with my bank. I'm guessing it is legal but it's terrible that they didn't notify you.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Hell no I wouldn't stay with them, what if you had an emergency and needed money. Not to mention the embarassment of finding out your card doesn't work.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 2:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My bank has merged many times but always gives me a heads up at least 30 days in advance. Do they have your correct address?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Go to your branch office and close your account, or better yet, go to a new bank and open an account by writing yourself a check for the amount in your account. When that check clears, close the account at the old bank.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• definitely switch banks..... that is messed that no one contacted you
    Jkat

Answer by Jkat at 2:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It sounds fishy to me. I would close it and get a new one. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have never heard of such a thing before. Sounds like they may be in financial trouble. Better find a new bank asap.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I've never heard of a bank changing names, etc., without lots of communication to its customers. I'd definitely go directly to the closest branch and find out the details.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010