simple question

A question earlier got me to thinking about this. How can woman quit smoking for nine months while pregnant, then start right back. If they can do it while they are pregnant. Why can't they stay away while they aren't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• I don't know. I quit smoking (cold turkey) the day I found out I was pregnant. That will be 4 years ago in April. Children of smoking parents are still exposed to health risks. Even if mom (or dad, or anyone else) isn't smoking around the child, the child is still exposed to third hand smoke.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081229105037.htm
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/health/research/03smoke.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I did it, but when I stopped for the 9 months I wasn't ready to quit yet, it is a frame of mind that makes you succeed!

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe they don't want to.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sometimes its just the stress, maybe of the new baby, maybe going back to work. Who knows I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my DD and never turned back!! I have been cig free for 6 1/2 yrs!!!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 2:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The same could be said about many things...smoking, medications, certain activities. They stop when pregnant cause its not just about them anymore and they want to keep the baby safe but it doesnt mean its easy and that they dont still crave while pregnant....and then when the baby is born the reason to not smoke isn't there anymore and its even harder and they will usually go back....I think it also goes back to when you have an addiction and quit for someone else you'll usually go back, you have to quit for yourself.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• They could if they wanted to. Their kids r still at risk.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• because they like to smoke, not ready to give it up. Maybe they are around others who smoke so they start back up.

I was a smoker before i got pregnant but I also quit before I got pregnant. I didn't stop because I found out I was pregnant. You have to stop because you are ready. I don't understand why some women start back up again.
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Congrats- 2prettylittle1s
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Finkette- The reason is still there not to smoke. They aren't just hurting themselves anymore. They are also putting their kids at risk. Even if they are these who go outdoors to smoke. The smoke will still be on your clothes. Right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You dont know the circumstances...some people smoke outside, at work or just at a bar....and I have never heard anything about the smell in clothing being harmful, it's the direct smoke inhalation.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010