Is it possible to hand stitch a small curtain??

I just learned how to stitch with yarn a few weeks ago and i dont have a sewing machine. My problem is i have a very tiny laundry room with a rack above my washer and dryer. I want to put a rod up and make a curtain to cover the contents of the rack. I know nothing about this sort of stuff but i am very interested in learning. The type of curtain i am wanting is the kind that is bunched around the rod - either just on top or top and bottom. I prefer top and bottom. Any pointers??

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 2:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You'll want the curtian to be 3X's the length of the window you want to cover for it to bunch correctly. Give yourself an extra inch on the top for a ruffled effect.

Also, use a piece of chalk to draw straight line where you will put the hem otherwise your stitches will be crooked.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is possible to hand-sew just about anything, it just takes a lot longer. But the nice thing about hand-sewing is that you can put it away easily to work on later if you have to.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You get the bunching affect from makingthe curtain to long for the rod....and sure you can hand stitch whatever you like the question is do you have the patience for it? depending on how big this curtain is is could be a project. But hey what do you have to lose if it's only a yard of fabric that wont cost much and you can at least say you tried...or succeeded. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is possible, and by handstitching it you'll have a finished product that will last much longer by using an iron on product. Just take your time and make nice even stitches. Don't rush the outcome and you'll do fine!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• So if the window is a 1'X1' you'll need a piece of fabric that is 15"X36".

15" should give you a ruffle and pocket for the rod. Hope that makes sense.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Use stitch witchery. It's easy and faster than hand sewing but yes it can be done. I made rod pocket drapes for my bedroom by hand. If I did it again I'd use the stitch witchery and my iron.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Mizzsweetooth

Answer by Mizzsweetooth at 7:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010