How can I get my baby to eat baby Food?

My Daughter is 5 months this week. A month or so ago Our doctor said she could start cereal. After weeks of trying she hates the cereal!! we spoon fed her. So we skipped it. Went on to baby foods this week (without Doctors Go ahead) started her on veggies first... She had peas for 2 days. 2 bites full. She hate them too! Is she not ready? When did you all start your babies on Baby food? How will I know when she is ready? Am I pushing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to stay with the cereal. Your baby's system isn't ready for other things yet. She will not like it in the beginning, but stick with it! Try to make it really thin in the beginning so that it runs off the spoon. I used to mix the cereal with breastmilk rather than water so that it had a somewhat familiar flavor. Try to see if she likes it better that way. As she gets used to it, you can try to gradually thicken it up. Be patient and good luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• 5 mo. is still young. I say if she doesnt want it dont force it. Just try again in a week or two. I always started with super thin cereal made with breastmilk or formula and both my lo's never had issue with it. Plus maybe she just doesnt like Peas!lol. You could try something else...squash or sweet potatoe or one of those yummy orange veggies. Dont worry, plenty of babies arent starting solid foods at that age!
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 4:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• She's too young for food yet. and creal is crap. don't even bother with it. try avacodo or yams.
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 4:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• what age do babies usually start solids?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• OMG, don't start with peas!!! Start with something nice and yummy. Try banana mixed with avocado, or sweet potatoe mixed with banana, etc. Do not give her potatoe though until she is 9 month old. Her tummy has to get used to the different type of food. But try to give her a little bit every day to introduce the puree food. She will find out what taste she likes and she will eat quickly. I wouldn't use the cerial first though. I think the baby rice is the best to introduce the weaning procedure because it doesn't have any other taste but your milk. Here is a link, read it. I hope it helps:) http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thank you.! someone else recomended mixing fruit with the cereal?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would not push it. 5 months is too young. Most peds as well as the AAP recommend 6 mos minimum.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• AAP say 6 months and thats the earlierst..you can try something like carrots or sweet potatos orange foods tend to go over better..but really babies never ever need cereal or even purees really.

Read up on baby led weaning...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Dude, wait until she wants the food. It won't hurt her to not have it sooner. My daughter was 9 months, some are 12 months before eating solids. It's normal and okay. We shouldn't have to puree food for babies to eat, they can start when they can mash up soft solids (like a banana). Research open gut, solids can actually be harmful too early, but at any rate, they are unnecessary. Just relax and follow baby's cues. She will seriously let you know when she is ready.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thank you Bellarose0212 I think you may be right. I am pushing it. Thanks for your advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010