First Time Plus Size Mom Question about Ultrasound...

Has anyone had an ultrasound at their first prenatal appointment? I go in tomorrow for my first prenatal appointment & I am projected to be around 10-11 weeks... I am really wanting to have an ultrasound and to hear the baby's heart beat... Do you think they will do an ultrasound on me?

Secondly, I am plus size and wear about a 22/24... Do you think it will be a problem to see the baby on the ultrasound with the extra weight?

Stephy878481

Asked by Stephy878481 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasound is sound waves. it goes through fat just fine. not meaning to be graphic or whatever. my friend jsut had a baby & she is very overweight. went to her 3D ultrasound w/ her & no problem at all seeing things.
    Anonymous

• They usually don't have trouble. I think that with us they go quite a bit lower (right above the pubic bone) and they push harder to see the baby but they can still see it! :D I am not sure if they will do it at this appointment or set up another appointment to do it. They like to do an early US so they can pinpoint the due date a little better. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask them outright if you will be getting an US done. Also - it's a little uncomfortable, but make sure that when you do go in for an US - have a very full bladder. This will also help them see the baby better - so when you are uncomfortable, just remember that you get to see your LO! (I always made my hubby have a full bladder and wait to pee til I got too - just so he sort of knew how I was feeling! lol) Congrats on your LO and GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thank you! I am really hoping for one!!! The reason I am worried is because they said if you need one, they will do an ultrasound... seemed weird to me because I thought... well... I want one does that count? lol It seemed open ended and I didn't know what to think!
    Stephy878481

Comment by Stephy878481 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You can want one but your insurance may not like you just "wanting" it & not pay for it! They need to done for medical reasons or some insurance will not pay for it.
    Anonymous

• For your first appointment you probably will get a vaginal ultrasound. And then you will have this other thing (I forgot the name right now) that will listen to your baby's heartbeat. You will beable to hear it just fine. But your weight can be a major problem for the health of you and your baby. The doctor will let you know. But millions of plus size women have given birth to healthy babies. Just eat health and do pregnancy exercises.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 3:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• They typically don't do an ultrasound at the first appt, but they will look for the heartbeat on doppler. Even for thin women there can be trouble finding a heartbeat on doppler until after 12 weeks just because of the size of the baby. Sometimes, though, if they don't know for sure how far along you are they will do an ultrasound to check fetal measurements and confirm due date.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm fairly fluffy myself. We had no problems at all with ultrasounds. With the doppler though, they can have problems and have to press kinda hard. If you WANT an ultrasound and they do not offer to give you one, you can DEMAND one at this stage. It's called a NT (Nuchal Translucency) scan, and is done at around 12 weeks. It is an ultrasound that includes all the stuff they would normally measure, plus looking for markers for certain birth defects. You can express concern and your insurance will have no choice but to cover the NT scan. :) You can also express concern about whether the gestational age is really accurate, if you have had irregular periods and they may offer a US to determine what the actual gestational age is. They won't change your due date unless it's off by at least a week though. GL. :)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• "Express concern"? You mean lie just because you want to see the baby!
    Anonymous

• I had an ultrasound at first appointment because they couldnt detect a heartbeat, and they were able to see the baby just fine. The heartbeat was niiice and strong! GL!
    rbailey2414

Answer by rbailey2414 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I am also a plus size mama and had my first emergency u/s when i was only 7 weeks. I saw my little bean! Good luck mama
    christina.1980

Answer by christina.1980 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010