Mother in Law and the Holidays.

Both my family and my husband's family live in another state. We are expecting both my parents and teenage brother as well as my mother in law here for the holidays. This is the first year that we have lived out of driving distance from our families and my parents decided they wanted to come celebrate Christmas up here. My sister in law and her family are going on vacation for Christmas so my MIL also asked to come up here for Christmas. I love her dearly and she loves me too, but I'm a little worried about Christmas day. My parents mailed all our presents up here which turned into about 10 large boxes of presents whereas my MIL was only able to get a little cash together in a card. I feel very guilty opening presents on Christmas day knowing she has to feel very uncomfortable. What can I do to help this situation???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't see why she'd be uncomfortable watching her grand kids open gifts. Just don't make a huge production of who the gift is from if that's what you are worried about. Just focus the day on food, family, and fun - not who bought the most gifts.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Ask your folks if they would mind if you opened most of your gifts some time when your hubby's mom wouldn't be there. Either before she comes or after she leaves. I think they would understand if you explained the situation to them. Christmas should be more about just being together, and I think your parents will appreciate that you don't want to make anyone feel badly. That way Christmas day could be about what you give to all of them and not at all about what you get from any of them. It's your home, so you should get to make the Christmas rules!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010