SAHM's (without income), how do you buy gifts for the husband?

We have a joint account so I can very well go buy him gifts with his own money but that seems cruddy. Previous years I was able to get a few photography jobs on the side and make money to surprise him but not this year.

I was thinking of just letting him pick out what he wants then wrapping it and sticking it under the tree.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• Hey anon, the question isn't about whether or not why she doesn't have a job!!! I'm a SAHM too and dang proud of it!! Are you just jealous and bitter?

Anyway, it's OUR money, because I work taking care of our children, so I don't have a problem with buying my husband a gift with OUR money. He uses it to buy me presents, right?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I look at it this way. I may not bring in an income. But how much would it cost for him to hire someone to do everything you do around the house? Just look at it that way. I feel like it is mine too, that I have earned in a way.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Whats he buy your gift with?? It's a joint account which makes it both your money. You work just as hard as him just at home why would you feel you can't spend money
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sorry but his money is my money.. Just because you are a SAHM does not mean you do not work.. you just don't get paid for it... I am no longer a SAHM but when I was I sure did buy him gifts with his/our money.. Now my DH is a SAHD and if he wants to buy me something for christmas, that's fine.. it is still our money :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Its our money, not his or mine! You should have no plm buying him something on "his" income because your contribution is all the cooking and cleaning and taking care of the kiddos!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 3:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I sold some of my kids clothes they had outgrown on craigslist and made enough for my husband's Christmas gifts. They aren't much, but they are a little something. He thinks I'm just not getting him anything this year, so he'll be very surprised.

Answer by missanc at 3:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I buy gifts from the family fund. Sure he is the only one paying into it right now, but we have different jobs to make our family run. His job is to go to work and make money to support the family. My job is to stay home and take care of the family. Both of us work, but at different jobs. All the money is family money. So we buy presents for each other out of the family money.

I truly feel that any money that he earns is OUR money, his and mine equally. He agrees completely.

I also think that my sweet husband works hard so I can stay home with our kids, how crappy would it be for him to not get a great gift because I was worried about spending "his" money!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have always bought him presents frm our joint account. We chose together for me to stay home, what is in the accout is ours and. Nolt something I have thought twice about.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• There are always way to earn money. Ask your parents if you can do some work for them.....or something alon thses lines.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I work but our money goes to the same place.....so he got to get his tattoo he's wanted....he won't have anything from me under the tree but plenty from family!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010