How old is too old?

Ok, I've seen people on talk shows who breast feed their 8 year old.. when did you stop, or feel you should stop.

My babe is on formula, breast feeding wasnt an option for me.

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 3:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel that aound 12 months is a good time to stop. if not even sooner
    Anonymous

• I'm going to breastfeed for at least 2 years (as is the current recommendation of the World Health Organization) and then for as long after that as my son wants. I think as long as the mom and child both want to continue nursing it's fine.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I only breast fed my first for 3 months due to early introduction of the bottle because of jaundice. My second was for 7 months and when he started getting teeth and biting me I called it quits.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 3:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• IM GONNA DO IT FOR 12MONTHS TIL SHES 1YR.I MIGHT PUMP AND PUT INTO A BOTTLE FOR HER SOONER THOUGH,LIKE AROUND 7 OR 8MONTHS
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I did it for 6 weeks and hated it. I would think up to ab year would be fine because you can then start introduing cow's milk. I would talk to some medical professionals for more concrete answers.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 5:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son is 18 months and we are still nursing. My goal is at least 24 months but we'll stop when he's ready.

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• For me we will probably nurse for a year... 2 years would be the max for me... I think it's kinda wierd to be over 3 and still breastfeed but many people do it. And 8 is WAY WAY too old... icky.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The best option is to go with it, and decide when you want to stop based on how you feel about it. The best recommendations say that it's best for at least a year or two and then for "as long after as mutually desired." That means when you or the baby decide to stop, that's when it's best to stop. It's an entirely individual decision. I had to stop early for various reasons with my older two children, 8 mos and 7 mos respectively, then nursed my third until he self weaned at 20 mos. Only you can determine where your comfort zone lies or what your particular needs are.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 7:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I will BF for at least 2 years.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 9:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2008