how to handle a spirited child?

My boy is what they call a spirited child. He notices things, he won't forget things, so I can't derail freak outs, he is very aggressive. Time outs don't work. He thinks anything he does is worth it.

brimarie

Asked by brimarie at 3:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With strong parenting, positive role models, high expectations, consistent rules and enforced consequences. Both of my sons (now 15 and 20, and both honor students/athletes with a lot of friends and both who are active in serving our community) were what you could call "spirited". They needed routine, they needed specific rules, they needed to be held to a high standard. The more active parenting you do, the easier it will become.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 3:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my son is strong willed but his reactions are more in the emotional breakdown about everything.. the best advice I can give you is look in to love and logic type parenting.. with our type of boys it will still get tested to the T And I am still in the very early learning stages of this but I think its going to be VERY helpful.. as long as mommy is consistent and follows through AALLLLL the time.. as you know, you can;t give an inch or they take 50 miles..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son is so much like this. I have to be always constistence, never give him an inch, high expectations for him, and most of all pick my battles. He will bring something up that was last year to me all the time!

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010