Chubby Kids Are a “National Security Threat"?

MObama thinks so.......

(Politico)- First lady Michelle Obama plans to warn in remarks Monday that the nation is seeing “a groundswell of support” for curbing childhood obesity, and she is unveiling new ammunition from current and retired military leaders.

“Military leaders … tell us that when more than one in four young people are unqualified for military service because of their weight,” the first lady says in the prepared remarks, “childhood obesity isn’t just a public health threat, it’s not just an economic threat, it’s a national security threat as well.”

The first lady and President Barack Obama are making a rare joint speaking appearance on Monday, at Harriet Tubman Elementary School in Northwest D.C.’s Columbia Heights neighborhood, as he signs into law the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 3:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I see what she is saying. If the trend continues and we have an overwhelming majority of young adults that are seriously overweight, are unable to pass the physical or dealing with health complications of their obesity, who will serve? Will they have to draft the healthier men and women? I might not know much but I know we have to have a military.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that obese kids are a national security threat though.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The Obama's never cease to amaze me... This tops most of their stupid comments.  They need to stop trying to control the world and let the parents back in.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Did you read the report from the military some time back about how many cannot pass the physical to get in?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Unless you've seen how the military has been forced to accommodate overweight soldiers, you really can't have an opinion. Even as recently as 30 years ago, if you couldn't make PT you didn't make the cut. Simple as that. As our society has gotten bigger, they have had to accommodate the overweight recruits, which poses a threat to everyone.
    It is absolutely frightening to think what the military will look like in another 30 years without intervention!!!

Can't say that I have had much to agree with the Obama's about... But momma Obama & I definitely agree on the basic concepts of nutrition, and waging war on obesity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Looking at those pictures, I can kind of see their point! How old are those little boys?? I mean that's just sad. Yeah if they continue on that trend, they can forget the military. If that becomes the norm for kids now, our military future is shot.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• She has a point. If a young recruit can barely make it up the stairs to bed without gasping for breath, just how much use are they going to be in the military?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well, she has a point if a generation from now the bulk of potential soldiers are not in good enough physical shape to get into the military.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Our future generation will not be "military" ready at the rate we're going.
    Regardless of the comment, the idea of an obese generation scares me and we need to do something about it. No more fattening meals in schools. Jamie Oliver pointed out how disgusting our food choices are and lots of Americans care and listened. I happen to agree and would prefer to see more veggies and less fat and processed foods.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010