So I bought my friend's kids a gift last year for Christmas and her boyfriend got mad...

She was at my house when she told him on the phone and I heard him say"WHY!!" did she buy them a gift?! Weird huh? Well he said that. Should I buy again for them this year? She didn't buy for my daughter not that it matters just thought I'd add that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• Do whats in your heart, christmas is for the kids and the kids are totally innocent.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I know that but maybe he thinks I am being overbearing by buying gifts when the don't??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Have you pondered ideas as to why he might have been uncomfortable with you buying their child a gift? Maybe they feel guilty that they cannot give anything in return?

I think your best bet is to be open and ask her, say are you guys comfortable with it if I were to get so and so a small present? Just let her know it's totally okay if they're not okay with it.

Of course that's if you really want to give him a present again. If it doesn't bother you not to, you mine as well just avoid the discomfort.

Good luck :D Very thoughtful of you for giving him a present though : D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'd still get them something small if I had the money. If they don't buy their kids gifts because they can't afford it then you don't want to spend a lot or if they don't celebrate you don't want to overdo it. Just like $5-$10 for something you know they are in to. Or a gift card to Target or something so the parents can take them to get things they might need (like clothes).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• why dont you just ask the mom if she minds you getting her kid a gift? i would anyways. he sounds weird - who gets mad about that?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• WHen we don't have alot of money like 2 yr ago my SO got mad when my friend bought our kids gifts because we could not buy for them. SO it may be that.....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'd ask her if it would cause problems. If so, I wouldn't buy them again. Maybe you could make them cookies or something

Answer by admckenzie at 4:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010