Stranger Danger!

We all know we much teach kids this. My kids are fearful of strangers
Well today we went to the mall to see Santa I was a little worried about how the kids would react, espeically my youngest. Well it becomes our turn and both kids run up to him with a smile on their face. So much for stranger danger. As long as he's looks jolly and has treats lets go to him. BLAH

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Statistically most murders, molestations, and other crimes against children are not committed by strangers but rather by a trusted and known adult. This is why it's more important to teach "good touch, bad touch". Additionally, it's not good for children to be fearful of all strangers - we want them to be able to make a good choice and request help or assistance if they're lost, hurt, frightened, or the like.
    Specifically regarding Santa? Parents who are willing to take their children to see Santa are already teaching that Santa is good, safe, fun, a friend - not that he is a stranger. So it's pretty unrealistic to think that children would always perceive Santa as a danger. Some children might make strange, some might not - but that has to do with the childs personality.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I know, isn't that always the way? From what I see on the news, we need to teach our kids to be more fearful of the people they DO know. That's scary!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We don't teach our kids "stranger danger". It's unrealistic and, frankly, unsafe because, like someone else said, the people most likely to hurt your kids are people they know (that aren't strangers) and that they trust. It's the strangers they may have to turn to for help during a situation, not the other way around. We teach our kids that most people are good and want to help and are nice, that it's okay to talk to people but to watch out for things that make them feel uncomfortable.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We are trying to find that line too - strangers are bad stay away but when someone comes up to us and says Hi, we want him to speak up for himself loudly and say Hi back as a way to show politeness.. so we are basically teaching him not to say hi or talk to anyone else but tell him to say Hi or thank you to random strangers to be polite or sit on this random persons lap and smile... our son is very very shy so we are trying to push the HI And THank you but then at the same time we question WHY??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree!! Most bad things do happen by someone they know or who is closest to them!! I tell my daughter if you don't feel comforable or feel upset around someone leave get away from that person as fast as you can!! Also let them know good touches and bad touches!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 3:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010