What do You Think about the Columbia Professor Charged With Incest?

A Columbia political science professor has been charged with having a sexual relationship with his 24-year-old daughter, the Columbia Daily Spectator reports.

David Epstein, 46, was charged Thursday with one count of third-degree incest. Police told the Spectator that the relationship appeared consensual.

Epstein is currently on administrative leave.

According to the New York Daily News, Epstein and the woman had a three-year sexual relationship and often exchanged "twisted text messages."

The Spectator reports that Epstein is married to another Columbia political science professor, Sharyn O'Halloran, though a recent update to his Facebook page says he is single. The couple was featured in a 2008 Spectator article about professors who "bring love to work."

"Our complementary skills lead to a great partnership," O'Halloran told the Spectator.

One student described Epstein, who was teaching a class on game theory this semester, as a "very nice guy." Outside of his professorial duties, Epstein also blogged for this website, on topics ranging from torture to Sarah Palin.

Huffington Post. Go figure!

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Gag. Barf. Choking on vomit. Ick. Skin crawls.
    Did I mention I think this is disgusting?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• What do expect someone to say? Everyone is going to say its awful.
    Anonymous

• Gag. But, I have to admit to relief that his daughter is an adult. I was expecting some child abuse, and was actually afraid to open this question.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Eww. Ewww on both of them! Can he actually be CHARGED though? If the relationship started when she was an adult? As disturbing as this is, there ARE places in the US that this actually goes on, certain communities. None that I will live in, or want to visit. But, it does happen. Eww. Ick, yeah, gross definatly. I'm off to other posts now.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• who knows when the relationship actually began..don't even want to think about it. Depending on the states law a person can be charged with incest, no matter the age of participants.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yikes! Gotta find a pic.

That is the same name as one of my poli sci professors in undergrad.

Geez...i really hope it's not the same guy, I really enjoyed his classes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Oops...I missed the Columbia part.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Cue the Barry White music.... ♫ ♪ Let's get it on! ♫ ♪

Incest is gross, at least she was an adult and hopefully it was consensual.
    Anonymous

• I think...you dont really know someone. You think you do. Pretty sure none of his friends or family knew he was like this..of course how could they? Its not like you advertise breaking the law. You would be pretty surprised at what some people do behind closed doors.
    Anonymous

• Pretty nasty but I am not shocked.
    Anonymous