How does everyone feel about the sexual innuendos that companies use to advertise products?

Writing a paper about the above question..looking for some feedback from the Cafemom mothers. Thanks!!

twinsn1girlmom

Asked by twinsn1girlmom at 3:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont like it and its very sexist.
    tiffany275

Answer by tiffany275 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• don't care. sex sells and they know it.
    Anonymous

• I don't really like it.....

I saw the Guitar Hero game ad on TV, the first one was a pretty blond woman dancing in a long button up white shirt.....it was obvious she only had underwear underneath. I was like ok....

The next one I saw of her (same commercial) except this time she only had on black panties and bra....was that really necessary? What was wrong with the first commercial?

Seriously, I saw those two ads in the same day. I don't like the fact that they sell sex on TV all day.
    Anonymous

• I'm okay with it for the most part. I've always figured If you got it, flaunt it! And if what you're flaunting can sell something, well then Shake your Money-Maker! BUT, and that is a huge BUT!! I do think there's a matter of taste to these things. Its much more attractive to have a hint at sexiness than to just put it all out there. Our society has become so desensitized to these things that they don't have an effect any more. And kids think its ok to act "sexy" and people think its ok to dress little girls in tramp suits with messages on their butts. Do they think its ok for them to basically ask peple to stare at thier chil's behind? And I think its the liberal advertising that makes us not care anymore. I'll run out of room here, but if you want more perspective, feel free to PM!

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i don't think they should advertise that when kids can see. there is a jean commercial where a teen girl is undressing her pants and she is looking at the teen boy and says do you trust me he looks back and says yes. in turn he takes off his pants. they are both in their undies then jump off the pier into the ocean. how does that sell jeans. if you ask me they seem to be selling sex. my husband saw that commercial for the first time and gave me the same look i'm sure i had when i first saw it. i thought for sure they were going to show the teens jumping into bed together. how that sells jeans i don't know. i buy whatever i can afford and what fits good. it just so happens it's that brand but still cause they are always on sell in dillards or macys. not cause of the ads.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't like that after watching college football, my 4 year old daughter is trying to imitate the Victoria Secret Commercial that was on for 30 seconds. It's hard to control EVERY minute of what is going, but we do our best to keep those to a minimum in our house. But when you are watching college football on a Saturday afternoon/evening~I would like to be able to feel that I can run to the bathroom and have a "minute" AND not have to worry abot the commercials...
    ;)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think if we were more open about sex we wouldn't be having the problems of teen pregnancy we do today. i get offended by objectification of women, but advertisers are simply using what works to sell as is their job. the problem is not the advertisers but the people who buy into it...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• figaro8895 I think if we were more open about sex we wouldn't be having the problems of teen pregnancy we do today. i get offended by objectification of women, but advertisers are simply using what works to sell as is their job. the problem is not the advertisers but the people who buy into it...

totally agree with you on both points
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 4:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It kind of bugs me cuz there will be a half naked, kinda slutty girl dancing around and making sex sounds... it seems like they're advirtising a porn when it's something unrelated like purfume. I remember seeing an add of a woman completely naked in a fetal position wearing high heels... the add was for shoes, could have fooled me.
    I also saw the commercial that melody did. I was very offended because my 7 year old neice asked what they were doing when they were undressing. I didn't KNOW until the commercial was over. If you want some veiw points from men I can have my hubby ask this on his Daddy Den account. PM me if you do.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When my neice was 5 she pulled her undies up her butt and started walking around all sexy. When we asked why she said "The lady on tv did it."!!!! WTH??? And it was a victoria secret commercial.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008