Would you tour Chernobyl?

KIEV, Ukraine – Want a better understanding of the world's worst nuclear disaster? Come tour the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Beginning next year, Ukraine plans to open up the sealed zone around the Chernobyl reactor to visitors who wish to learn more about the tragedy that occurred nearly a quarter of a century ago, the Emergency Situations Ministry said Monday.

Chernobyl's reactor No. 4 exploded on April 26, 1986, spewing radiation over a large swath of northern Europe. Hundreds of thousands of people were resettled from areas contaminated with radiation fallout in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia. Related health problems still persist.

The so-called exclusion zone, a highly contaminated area within a 30-mile (48-kilometer) radius of the exploded reactor, was evacuated and sealed off in the aftermath of the explosion. All visits were prohibited.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would.

I don' t think i'd eat and local wildlife, but a tour would probably be as safe as a TSA scanner.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No thanks.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 4:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Hell NO!! I saw a documentary on hookers and there where some that came form that area and the reason a women was a hooker was because her family had cancer and they need the money for Doctors bills.

TSA scanner is also known to be dangerous.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Do they provide hazmat suits to the tourists?

I think I'll pass.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• On my list of places I want to visit/tour in my lifetime, I'm sorry to say that Chernobyl didn't make the final cut!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It isn;t on my agenda but if I were in the area, yes I would. The cancer rate in the area is no higher than anywhere else and never has been.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• They guys on the Sci-Fi channel show Destination Truth went there. They had very specific guidelines and wore radiation badges so they knew when to leave the buildings. I don't know. I think that they were foolish to go into that town under the pretense of looking for ghosts for entertainment purposes. There are too many people who have risked their lives to constantly monitor that site for science. So, to answer your question, no friggin' way.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• hmm...i dunno. it would be fascinating to see (i love history) but it a little too risky...maybe if i get to wear one of those nifty protection suits, that might be cool.

for now, no...but check back in another 25 years haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have been to Hiroshima and Nagasaki so I guess I can go to Chernobyl next.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010