Is This Sugarplum Fairy Too Plum-p?

New York Times critic Alistair Macaulay stirred up a big controversy recently by writing that the Sugarplum Fairy in the New York City Ballet's version of The Nutcracker "looked as if she'd eaten one sugarplum too many."

http://thestir.cafemom.com/

What do you think?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 4:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Which one?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• whatt! Ok I dont see anyone in that picture who looks " too Plump". Is that such a thing anyways..."too Plump" who says that!
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 4:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The only gal I see that's not as thin as they normally are is all the way on the right. And, as far as ballerinas go, she is kinda, big. Generally they are so damn tiny that they look sickly. She looks...normal. His comment was really nasty though. He probably looks like a fat toad.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I only wish I was "plump" like her! LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's hard to say based on that picture. If her dancing was heavy it would reflect poorly on her.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• breaks my HEART. My daughter is on her 3rd year of ballet. Next yr. she'll likely start getting small solos & going to a few local competitions. I will be very torn when the image drama starts. they turn an art and a hobby into something ugly and scary.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The original title said "too fat". I was making a play on words, kricket.

SavageGrl

Comment by SavageGrl (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• | think Mr. Macaulay is classless, for the review and for trying to defend his words instead of issuing an apology.

She is slender by most standards and was selected for the part because she was the best one for the roll. He should really look at himself before he calls anyone out for their looks. Also it is not like she looks like this or anything...

She probably weighs 6 pounds more than the other dancers. Not enough to really notice or call her out about.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• she look great and healthy.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The ballerina in question is the one in the foreground, Raine.

I think she looks like many other ballerinas, I don't know why he chose to say something like that about her. In the clips I saw, her dancing was graceful and beautiful.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010