when should i start teaching my son math and how do i educate him without making him grow up too fast?

my son is advanced for his age he knows most of his abc's and shapes has trouble with colors and numbers but i want to stimulate his mind instead of him just watching tv, he is a year and a half old.

jyvt

Asked by jyvt at 4:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• not for a while. If he is 1.5 and knows his abc's and shapes, he is just fine. Just keep playing with him. The learning will come best from that!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You don't need to make his learning formal, just do stuff with him. For example, have him help you bake & he can measure flour or sugar, etc. with you. When you need to buy multiples of something, count them together as you put them in the shopping cart, etc. These are good ways to introduce him to the concepts of addition, fractions, etc. without doing it formally. He's all of a 18 months old, let him be a little one for a while longer. You don't want to burn him out on education or make him hate it by introducing formal education topics too soon.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't push, but I always did things like counting the cars they were playing with, or the blocks they were stacking. If they boys helped me bake cookies, I would count as I put the ingredients in the bowl, and if we were paying for something, I might count the change out in front of them, that kind of thing. He's a little young to start actually doing math, instead of trying to "teach" right now, I would just be talking to him as you go about the things you're doing as you go about your daily life. This builds their vocabulary, and they do pick up the things that you're saying. As he starts to grasp numbers while you're counting, you'll know when he's ready to start adding and subtracting, and rather than doing it on paper, I'd do it with toys and things at first.

Let your child show you what he's ready for, if you take cues from him, you won't push to hard, just offer the information as he begins to understand!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• count things....anything....how many spoons are in the dishwasher.... does it look like there are more spoons or more forks? (guessing is fine/ that IS math). make comparisons....is this shirt bigger or is daddy's shirt bigger? do matching shape games, those puzzle games that you fit the shape into a hole...how many balls will fit into the bag...there are all kinds of games...http://www.pbs.org/parents/earlymath/infant_activities.html..
    http://math-and-reading-help-for-kids.org/toddler_math_games.html

whatever you choose to do, make sure it's FUN!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's never too soon to start learning!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• thank you everyone for your help your advice has helped alot
    jyvt

Comment by jyvt (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010