Do you think teachers should be allowed to wear political buttons to where they teach.

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 3:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• nope
    Anonymous

• No.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Can you wear one where you work? If so, then why can't a teacher? Should a teacher not be allowed to wear a symbol of christianity? Or a breast cancer support pin? Or the infamous flag lapel pin?
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• No. In California there is a code of ethics which includes not forcing your political or religious opinions on your students. Think about it tho. Seniors in High School are pretty much the only ones who might be old enough to vote, so what is the purpose of doing this except to alienate yourself against your students' parents who might take exception to how you stand! A teacher should remain neutral in their teachings and wearing a button can most certainly be construed as a "lesson".
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 4:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• hmmm. I don't know what the laws are. BUT if teachers can discuss their views on the issues with children, I think that can certainly teach them how to have healthy discussions. these stupid "elections" the kids are having at school are based on nothing and are meaningless.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The reason I was asking this question was because there was a teacher accused of ‘belittling’ student for stating her choice in Presidents.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881106074

Which brought me to the other subject of being allowed to wear political buttons or other propaganda.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/02/virginia-teachers-union-sparks-outrage-obama-blue-day/
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 4:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Wow, caspercity, you make some very valid points! Teachers absolutely wear the cross or star of david on a necklace. You see pink ribbons all over the place, altho I don't think breast cancer awareness or any cancer awareness is political..... and is crucial that it be taught in my opinion. You know what? You're right, they should be allowed to wear a pin, or T-shirt supporting a political opinion, however, they should NOT be incorporating their personal opinion into the teaching of the classroom with the purpose of swaying the class' opinion, as stated in their code of ethics.
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 4:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• In my children schools, teachers are not allow to wear political buttons or other propaganda. Thye are also not allow to discuss politics with or infront of students.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 4:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• casperkitty: Okay so if you have a teen who turning 18, do you want your teenager to be influenced by his/her teacher?
    I don't have a problem them teaching about elections. Its part of government class. It's apart of learning. I don't mind unbiased teaching. It's their voicing their opinions, that bothers me.

If you're allowed to talk about sex at work, do want your the teacher teaching sex education, if you are christian and want your child to wait. Or do you want him/her to push contraceptives?
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• they arent talking about sex though. they are just earing a button. talking about it is another thing tat i dont think they should do.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008