Is there any charity organization where my child can see how their generosity impacts others?

Our family has always donated clothing, toys and other household items to various charities throughout the year, but they never really see how it impacts others. I was trying to explain why we do this to my kids and wanted to know if there was any type of charity organization we can participate in where my child can actually get to see first hand how others are being helped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank, church charity event (one of our local churches runs a clothing give away), etc. They could also do a fundraising event for a local hospital's children's ward & then do a presentation to the hospital & see how their generosity helped the families there.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Most agencies do not allow people to see "first hand", as they are protecting the privacy of those being helped. It is possible, though, to see how a particular agency helps people. If you google UNICEF, you'll be able to see examples of their good work. The same with The Salvation Army, Volunteers of America, or others.
    If you want your children to participate WITH people, if they're of the appropriate age they can volunteer to serve at a soup kitchen, help the American Red Cross, or any number of different agencies.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Maybe the SPCA. Or a soup kitchen kinda thing.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• World Vision does that. You can sponsor a child and they send you updates throughout the year on how your monthly donation is making a difference for that individual child, as well as his or her community. My kids have enjoyed getting the updates and learning about other regions. We currently sponsor one child in Bangladesh and one in Cambodia.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• In the church. They can be active helpers. And there are so many charity where they can do volunteer work.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would say a no-kill animal rescue group. They can visit the shelter and donate food or toys and see the animals that will benefit from them. Kids usually love animals anyway.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010